TechSpot

So I think I blew my integrated sound card :[

By NeVeRdude
Feb 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Okay, so after I finished watching a movie, I go to shuffle my playlist and get ready for bed. I move my hand towards my mouse, and since I was laying on my bed, I had static shock in my hand. Now my headset, Tritton PC510 have an in-line controller, which was sitting right beside my mouse. The static shock, shocks the controller, and I check my headphones to see if they're fine. I hear a distinct, and constant beeping/humming noise. I'm scared. So I re-boot my system, and try again. Same thing. Thinking it was my headset that blew up, I went to try on the laptop. Completely fine. I think - did I blow out my sound card ? (Thinking that it was in it's own slot). I take apart the case of the computer, and I see that my sound card is integrated. I cry :[ Now here I am, posting on this forum, waiting for a reply. Thanks for reading through this far <3 P.S. Can I add in another sound card into a PCI slot, without it having to interfere with my integrated sound card?

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,456   +228

Yes, you can. Be sure to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS or you could get a conflict.

Do you have sound through regular speakers?

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,626   +320

Yep, you can get another sound card no problem. Make sure it works with Windows 7 if you are running that because a lot of the older Creative cards aren't supported in any way after XP (I'm looking at you SBLive Value).

If you just have a 2.1 or 2.0 speaker setup you don't need a fancy expensive card. I picked up a cheap $6 or $7 card at MicroCenter a while back for a secondary PC of mine and its fine.

4. NeVeRdude

NeVeRdude TS Rookie Topic Starter

Not really :p

My speakers require to be plugged into my soundcard, so it can play out of it. But sadly I can't get my soundcard to cooperate with my headset, peripherals etc. And when I plug in my headset, I right click on the speaker icon in the hotbar in the bottom right, and I choose playback devices. My headset shows that it's not connected.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,626   +320

I'm confused. I think we agreed that you probably killed your onboard sound. And that you could also buy another one and use it without any problem.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.