So many questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negative_Pulse

I got a couple questions here im sure some of you could answer easily. But for the life of me i cant seem to find the solutions myself.

Running WinXP

1. msconfig. I disabled some startup apps and now every time i boot the System Configuration Utility pops up saying the system is in diagnostic or selective startup mode ect. This thing wont go away, and its driving me nuts.

Any suggestions on how to disable it from starting?

2. temp files. Anyone have any recomendations for managing my temp files? I got temp files all over administrator and my login's when i look in my Documents and Settings folder. These files are all over the place with internet files and what looks like temp app folders that did'nt delete themselves after installs. Disk cleanup tool in WinXP was no help at all as it said i would free up 30MB or so when i know i got about 200+MB in temp files.

Any tips on how to manage multi login temp files would be greatly appreciated.

3. netscape auto opens .zip files with media player. I'v searched all over the place to try and fix this. I dont know how it started. I can find nothing in netscape preferences or media player options that lets me disable this.

So far im very pleased (exception of problems above) with how my fresh install of WinXP has gone and how my systems running. Once i have these problems fixed im ready to defrag, run bootvis and then the installation is complete. Thanks in advance.

re 1: you probably set a parameter to CONFIRM something when starting. I have Win2000 without Msconfig, so can't help you there.
re 2: use a program like IOLO's System Mechanic Pro. Has a clean-up function built-in that does exactly what you want.
re 3: find any zip-file on your HD, right-click it, select "Open with" and pick your favourite ZIP-program, select also "Always use this program..."

Originally posted by realblackstuff
re 1: you probably set a parameter to CONFIRM something when starting. I have Win2000 without Msconfig, so can't help you there.
re 2: use a program like IOLO's System Mechanic Pro. Has a clean-up function built-in that does exactly what you want.
re 3: find any zip-file on your HD, right-click it, select "Open with" and pick your favourite ZIP-program, select also "Always use this program..."

For #1 There sould be an option to 'tick here' to not show this on startup again.

For #3 If you don't see the 'open with' option you might have to hold down shift or control while right clicking. I can't remember which one.

msconfig is a diagnostic tool and is not supposed to be a way to permanently disable apps during startup. If you want to do this, then a tool, such as System Mechanic would be the simplest way, or you could edit the system registry and the contents of your startup folder, which I wouldn't recommend unless you are knowledable with computers. System Mechanic allows you to disable, and re-enable startup apps at any time, and also provides many other tools to manage your system.

On the msconfig question, next time you reboot and get the dialog, just tick the box that says something about not starting msconfig when windows starts or something to that effect.

Originally posted by poertner_1274

For #1 There sould be an option to 'tick here' to not show this on startup again.

Originally posted by StormbringerOn the msconfig question, next time you reboot and get the dialog, just tick the box that says something about not starting msconfig when windows starts or something to that effect.

:blackeye: This is what happens if you just copy me again :blackeye: :D

Problem #1.
Fixed, i ticked the box once but i must of not done something right because it would pop-up again. I ticked the 'do not show or launch...' button again and now it wont pop-up.

Problem #2.
I dont really want to d/l a util to search and destroy temp files. I'll just go on a deleting spree, im confident i know enough not delete something i should'nt.

Problem #3.
Double clicking on any zip file in explorer auto-opens winrar. But even after clicking open with, winrar and ticking use this prog everytime it still wont work. Netscape is still using wmplayer.exe to open .zip files. Holding shift and then clicking the file works some of the time, but lots of times its a link to a file or something else, and then it gets all screwy, either just saving the link or naming the file wierd names (download.php.asp).

Thanks for the replies.
And Phantasm, yes i suppose 3 questions would not qualify as "So many". Perhaps these will change that.

4. do you like cheese?
5. have you ever used a block of cheese as soap?
6. if so how was the experience?
7. would you do it again?
8. would you substitute cheese for another diary product?
;)

Thanks again for putting up with my newbish questions.

edit: Problem 2 now fixxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back