Socket 478 to AM2 upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMoose

Moose here, and I have a weird one for ya......

I have an eMachines T3958 desktop and a D620-5777 laptop.

The desktop is getting old, and I was planning a mobo change. Socket 478 boards seem few and far between now though. And they all seem to want DDR2 memory! So there goes that money I just spent on 2GB of Crucial PC2700! The Celeron D 340 has served me well, and currently has no problem. I just don't want to get caught with my pants down. Between all the horror stories I've read about mobo's, PSU's, and sudden hard drive failures....it's got me a little frazzled!

So if I must change RAM anyways, then why not consider the CPU too, right?

So here's my question:

Will the AMD 2650e work in a AM2 socket desktop mobo? And how would it perform in comparison to the 2.93GHz Celeron D it's replacing?

I'm asking because then I could kill two birds with one stone, buy a better CPU for the laptop while recycling the old one into my desktop.

Am I crazy? What would I have to look out for?

I've seen people swap the 2650e for 4850e's. And soon there'll be a 3250e, which is kinda in the middle, right?

Any input is appreciated, even if it's just laughing at my idea.

If it won't work, then why?

Thanks guys!

I think it'd be a better idea to grab this motherboard and throw in this CPU. You can use your existing RAM, and have an upgrade path to DDR2 and any Intel LGA775 CPU of your choice. The board also comes with both AGP and PCI-E slots, so you are covered every way. The PCI-E slot is limited to x4 though, so it's not an ideal gaming choice.

Well.....

I appreciate the response, but did you read the reviews?

I stick to products that are rated higher than 48% excellent.

10% said "Don't buy this board! DOA!"

Wow, that's not good.

I'm leaning towards Asus. Whenever people give poor ratings, they actually RESPOND to the reviews on newegg.

That's impressive to me.

And I'm trying to use that 2650e, otherwise I'd just be acquiring MORE parts around my house. Which I'm already getting sick of!

Anybody want some PC100/133 RAM? I have a shoebox FULL of it! lol

Don't put too much stock in Newegg reviews. Most people usually only post reviews if they have problems, including myself.

And ASRock is a division of ASUS FYI.

i had an older asrock mobo, it lasted many years for my intel celeron rig.
never died, ended selling the rig on ebay a year ago, and to my knowledge, its still running.

I had an asus board die on me, I didnt post it at newegg, it was more than likely my fault, from my overclocking habits, the board lasted me a little less than a year, I was able to rma it though for a brand new board, newegg is pretty good with rma's.

On the other hand. I've purchased my p5k3 deluxe, and my Rampage x 2 board from them as well, both still work great, but I havnt posted there on them either.

You have to realize that all of these purchases are by oem builders. We make mistakes sometimes while installing these things. Some dead items are builder errors. I wouldnt imagine that many doa items are actually "doa,"

Its not like these items are full pc purchases put together by a "professional," and are sent out dead or in unsatisfactory standards.

Sorry guys! I probably jumped the gun on that one a little.

I know we're talking about <$80 mobo's, but I have to really watch my cash.

Times are tough, and I'm not seeing the light in the end of the tunnel just yet!

But thank you very much for your input gentleman, I shall reconsider the newegg reviews with a grain of salt.

I'm also checking out zipzoomfly as well. Like this one:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005932

But it's for a P4, right? Could I just re-use my Celeron D 340 2.93GHz?

That one's only $47! And I'd save whatever money spent for new CPU!

But DDR2 means I gotta buy more RAM.

Poop.

Man.. I normally agree with Rage.. He has very good taste.

This time, though, I have to disagree. ASRock came about because Asus needed something to appeal to the low end crowd that was buying MSI, PC Chips, ECS, etc. They're too embarassed to put their name on it, because of their reputation for incredible motherboards.

The ASRock is a piece of garbage. We experimented with them for a while. It was, for the most part, a disaster. We've had our DOAs, unstable boards, etc. In short, stay away from them. They may be a division of Asus, but they're not even close in terms of performance and reliability.

If you're looking cheap, try the P5GC-MX/1333.. Part of their "Corporate Stable" series. It will just devastate the ASRock equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back