Socket 754 compared to socket 939

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattw

are there any major differences? is the 754 more unstable compared to the 939?

cos im always gettings performance issues with games on my pc (ive got a 754 amd athlon 64 3400+) i dont know whether it could be the cpu or something else?

is there much point in upgrading my cpu to 939?

thanks a lot.

I don't think it is that simple really.

As far as "stability" goes, 754 and 939 are probably not all that different. What is more important is the chipset on your motherboard, ram/motherboard compatibility etc.

The main advantage of 939 is that the newer AMD processors are made ONLY for that socket type.

You ask if there is a point in upgrading your cpu to 939. You would have to upgrade your motherboard first to be able to accept a 939 cpu. I appologize if that is information you already know, it just didn't sound like it in the wording of your question.

Now, as for your performance issues, if you want we can take a look and try and find the cause. I'd recommend starting a new thread and list your complete system specs with as much detail as possible, also detailing the problems you are having.

The 3400+, both 754 versions, is a great processor. Unless you are into very heavy video encoding or gaming, it will continue to be a great CPU for a long time. I have a 3400+ as my primary gaming machine over a dual core p4 3.0 because it typically whips the p4, even without having a 128-bit memory bus.

Short answer is unless you are having noticeable slowdowns in games you play, it's perfect to stick with.

mattw said:
are there any major differences? is the 754 more unstable compared to the 939?

cos im always gettings performance issues with games on my pc (ive got a 754 amd athlon 64 3400+) i dont know whether it could be the cpu or something else?

is there much point in upgrading my cpu to 939?

thanks a lot.

To sum it up, 939 is a higher performance platform. Not that 754 isn't capable of high performance, but AMD has turned it into the 'budget" platform. Cheap boards and Sempron CPUs (mostly)... With little hope to upgrade beyond what's currently available.

Stability? Shouldn't be any different.

Generally speaking, more pins = better, but never base your decision on this. Always research first. :)

awesome, thanks alot for the help people...

im just gonna stick with buying a new motherboard, and see whether that helps with games.

thanks again

AMD will be replacing both the 754 and 989 CPU's with M2, fabled by Q2 2006.

I've been holding back to only cheaper expenditures until the whole socket fiasco to M2 occurs personally. hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back