Software developer outsources his job to China, makes good money goofing off all day

By Jos
Jan 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. In this economy you'd think there aren't many six-figure jobs that let you wander aimlessly throughout the web all day between cat videos and catching up with social networks. And you'd be right. But one software developer in his 40s...

Read more
  2. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 575   +31

Classy...maybe they should outsource his prison time to China?
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,049   +699

Uh Scam? No. Deceitful yes, but not a scam. If he opened up a bunch of big security holes by allowing these consulting firms access I could see why he'd be in trouble, but otherwise I'd expect the worst that could happen to him would be losing his 'job'. Verizon was receiving everything they paid for, and high quality work, by the sound of it.

Personally, I'd never outsource my job to China. I'd pick India for sure.
  4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

His jig is up!
  5. TechGamer

TechGamer TechSpot Booster Posts: 408   +34

6. This sounds like something George Costanza would do.
  7. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +123 Staff Member

I really don't see the problem here.
    So companies can outsource their whole damn firm and it's all ok.
    But this guy simply outsourced his job, and had the person doing it performing a terrific job surpassing all his colleagues, and he is the bad guy?
    BlueDrake, Terrell and TypeR181 like this.
  8. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 630   +59

I completely agree with this. I applaud the guy for thinking outside of the box.
    Terrell, hammer2085 and TypeR181 like this.
  9. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Other than sending his RSA security token to someone else and allowing them to log in as him (probably covered by basic fraud and a serious violation of his employment security agreements)... And that he was representing the work as his own, which could potentially cause massive havoc and damages if an issue arose that needed immediate attention, and he would not be able to take care of the situation personally... The concept itself wasn't flawed, so much as the dishonest implementation of it.

Plus, the company was probably just irritated that it could have gotten 5 times the excellent work for that one guy's salary, with much lower benefits overhead. Heh.
    TypeR181 likes this.
  10. nategatorc

nategatorc Newcomer, in training

I haven't had a chance to meet this young man but boy does he have Straight to Upper Management written all over him.
    BlueDrake likes this.
  11. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,049   +699

Well, when a company outsources the job, they give the security clearance and do the background check on the company they are hiring. When they hire Bob the Slacker, they do the checks on him. That's why I'd bet he'll get fired. I agree, he wasn't scamming them, but depending on the type of job he had, his employer might be a bit upset he was sharing security credentials.

12. nategatorc:
    "I haven't had a chance to meet this young man but boy does he have Straight to Upper Management written all over him."

Naga...Naga....Not-gonna work here anymore, anyway. *nerd*
  13. Why in the world is Verizon upset with him for doing exactly what their and every member of upper management does to the ground workers every day? (With the exception of sending their security code to China.)
  14. Great upper level management potential.
    Kezhen Gao likes this.
  15. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 342   +20

Yup they are all up in arms about this yet thousands of Manufacturing jobs are outsourced to China every single day.

The man is just doing it on a smaller scale lol
    TypeR181 likes this.
  16. What everyone fails to read is that it wasn't Verizon who hired him but rather a company that hired Verizon to audit the VPN logs whether Verizon was the company's service provider or what not, who knows.
  17. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 994   +149

Nah!!!

if he outsourced his job to me, I'll be glad.:)
  18. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 571   +98

It happens more often here in our country...
  19. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,663   +508

Lots of developers do it, just more carefully, without security compromises like this.
  20. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179   +25

We need more guys like him, we would have so many more job opportunities.
  21. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 971   +30

Anyone knows what the Chinese company is? Could come in handy.
  22. Conger88

Conger88 Newcomer, in training Posts: 72

Whats the penalty for this? lose his job obviously...but does he get fined? prison? personaly I think hes a hero
  23. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 454   +54

The Verizon guy was handed the "Pensky file". Outsourcing his own job was pretty clever.
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  24. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 841   +20

It's hard to get rid of a civil servant. My boss in a civil service job did something similar. He'd be in in the morning to unlock his door, and then proceeded to another job. Sometimes he'd come back in the evening, sometimes not. The way they got rid of him was to take away his parking pass, and parking is now $35 near downtown Chicago.
  25. Terrell

Terrell Newcomer, in training Posts: 22

There was nothing said about him not knowing how to do his job. I mean he obviously had to interview for the job at some point I would think. So he was being lazy and decided to outsource the work. Obviously, he had better things to do with his time.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.