Software license keys - stored where ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanmaker

I believe that a copy of the license key for registering Avast will be stored somewhere on the hard disk. All I need to do is find it.
Can someone tell me where to look, please.

Details - I'm setting up a recycled lThinkpad for a friend, for whom I act as geek.
I've managed to do a clean install of win98se, her preferred OS.
After that, I moved her minimal software across a usb/hdd link I've set up, including Avast 4.0.which she had registered.
Now I've added the missing .dll files and attempted to install it, prior to setting up an online account, I need her license number.

Any help gratefully received.
John

Usually stored in duplicate in two different locations.

First try something like Belarc or Everest... they are free, and inventory the computer, and post a lot of the product ID's... don't know if a freebie like Avast would be included.

Also do a Gurgle search for key finders or ID finders.

Raybay - you're right. Everest disclosed a list of licences on my own laptop, but not Avast, so I guess I'd be wasting my time hunting for one on the other pc.
Thanks anyway - a bit more knowledge to tuck away ;)
John

Say Fanmaker, just a suggestion that since the av is a freebie that you could go and download another free copy and install that and maybe when you go to registering it under the lady's name they will accept the new register or maybe say that this person is already registered and then you could ask for the license number and get it that way. Do you suppose that may be worth a try. At worst you register a new copy with a new license and just give the lady the new info. Best to you...

Hi Dr. P.
That's a good suggestion. The only snag that I can see, and it may not work out as one, is that they send the reg key to the email address that I provide. At the moment, because we're setting up an account with a new provider, and I would like to have the av running when I first go on line(am I too paranoid ?), it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation.
If I download a new copy onto my pc, then instal it onto hers, then as the first url I type when going online for the first time on hers I go to avast to register it, presumably I cant go any safer than that ?
What do you think ?
John

New problem

Having now moved on to set up an internet account, I discover the laptop doesn't detect the modem. :(

I've started another thread
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back