TechSpot

Software that can set the size of my windows in Win7?

By Dhakos
Mar 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I almost always use msn while I'm doing other things so I normally have msn open on the left of my screen (widescreen so it isnt too bad) and my other programs on the right.
    The trouble with this is it means that I always have to resize and position new programs to make them fit, it would be great if I could click a button like maximize, and have the window snap to the correct size and position (around 2/3 maximized)

Does anyone know of any free software that could do this? it would be great to be able to add 2 buttons on the top bar, 1 to "maximize to the left" and one to "maximize to the right" with the size and position of the snapping being customizable?

Many thanks

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

3. Dhakos

Dhakos TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 79

I'm not sure how that would help.. I suppose another way I could word it, would be to spit the screen into 1/3 and 2/3 sections, and treat each as a seperate monitor, so that maximize only takes up the respective proportions.

4. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

I understood what you required but unfortunately I could find nothing else that came close and without using the software I was unable to determine if it would do the job, hence the "no guarantee".

5. Dhakos

Oh I see, thanks anyway :)

6. Ghosty Dog

Ghosty Dog TS Rookie Posts: 19

Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter (freeware) works on 32/64 bit win7 & allows you to do what you're asking, Dhakos.

7. Dhakos

oh brilliant, I'll look into it thanks :)

8. Dhakos

Would it be possible to have a link? there are lots of things called shapeshifter I'm having trouble finding it. Many thanks.

9. Ghosty Dog

Ghosty Dog TS Rookie Posts: 19

10. Dhakos

Ah, thats the best freeware so far, shame it isnt able to set custom sizes/positions, I'm ideally after a 1/3 2/3 split, but it has some nifty features, thanks :)

11. SuperBill

SuperBill TS Rookie

I registered just to give you the answer you're looking for. Check this app out:

www dot brianapps dot net/sizer

It allows you to fully customize the dimension and location on screen of any Window and even create a list of frequently used items/sizes.

Edit: it wouldn't let me post a url being a noob and all, but I'm sure you can figure it out.