Software to "keep windows awake"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopdog

Hi!

Does anyone know about some kind of software and/or gadget that can be used to avoid Windows 7 from going to sleep and hibernating when I need the computer to stay on?
I know this can be configured, and I've set it to sleep after 10 minutes, and normaly that's what I want. But I have a slow internet connection, and somethimes I want to leave the computer on while downloading archives, and also while using power point to show a presentation.
So far the only solution I've found is to leave Windows Media Player running, but I thought there might be a more elegant solution, like a gadget or something.

Any ideas?

Please visit Power Options in the Control Panel. Make your changes there. You can select Power Options in Windows 7 to determine how aggressively or conservatively you use power on your desktop or laptop.
Microsoft-Windows-7-Power-Options.jpg

Thank you for answering, maybe I didn't formulate my question well.
I'm aware of the power options, and I've configured everything the way I like. But sometimes I want to keep Windows awake for a long time, to download something during the night, for example, without changing the power options every time.

Once upon a time, when modems were the only way to connect to internet, there were some small programs that would ping every now and then to keep windows from automatically closing your internet connection after 15-30 minutes. That's more or less what I'm looking for, a gadget that will send a keystroke or whatever to windows, to simulate user interaction.

My guess is that you participate in file sharing and want to do unattended downloads. I don't do that but suggest you find one of the forums using P2P.

No, I don't do P2P, but I have a 128/64 kbps internet connection, and even downloading Ubuntu takes a day or two. I've also experienced that Windows 7 turned off my monitor while doing a power point presentation, very annoying.

Edit: btw, I think most p2p software already have a "keep awake" function.

To be honest, I don't know of any software available that will do what you want. Something I did think of though is the chance that the ISP might be breaking the connection.

I remember back in the early days of AOL, we all dreaded the sound of that voice that said "Goodbye" right in the middle of what we were doing! It was because it wasn't reading us as 'active'. Is it possible that you ISP could be doing this? And if that is the case, if you try to go around it, you would most likely be in violation of their Terms of Service- for which they could drop you.

The idea behind this is that remaining signed on is using their servers. People who do that can make it a hardship for others to connect, so they cut you off. I don't know if that if happening to you, but it is something to consider.

Okay, I'm not familiar with the program. Just be sure it's not violating the contract you have with the ISP. Look in the EULA. If it does violate it, the can stop your service.

Ok, Caffeine works perfect, the only thing this little 12kb program does is simulate a keystroke every 59 seconds to keep windows from activating the screensaver, going to sleep or hibernating. It has nothing to do with internet or ISP, and won't cause any contract violation. Just keeps windows awake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back