Some advice on configuration

Hey there folks, I'm sure this has been asked to death, but I could use some advice here.

So specifics. About two years back, I switched to building first PC and buying components separately ( mostly from online stores from EU, I'm from Croatia and our stores are usually a bit more expensive).

So I bought, in order, Pallit Jetstream GTX 970, Kendomen Deepcool ( decent case, pretty cheap but with enough room, three ventilators and good airflow), classic WD blue 1TB and Asrock B150M Pro4 .

Instead of buying other components, I went into "waiting game", then new generation of CPU/GPU's came out, RAM prices doubled, etc... I know, I know: great timing. :p

Also recently I bought Seasonic Plus SSR-FX Gold 750w...I figure this should be enough power and has a 10 year warranty.

I use PC for gaming, internet, videos...the usual. No streaming, editing, multi tasking, or intention of going for dual graphics card or overclocking ( if it nets me, only a few extra FPS?). Also playing on 1080p resolution with no intention of going 4k in future.

So my question is what to do with CPU?

As I see it, it comes down to three choices:

1. Use my current MBO, and buy Intel processor to go along with it. In that case which one is best( i5 6500, even if their prices are still the same)? Does any of last generation work with it? This would be cheapest, but less viable long term ( unless a next gen CPU's come in a year or two, so I can skip current gen).

2. Buy latest Intel CPU's ( probably i5-8400?) and new MBO for it.

3. Go for AMD CPU/MBO combination ( as I understand it, they draw more power, are better at multi core, but you don't need to change MBO for an upgrade( or it's more likely that will be the case)

Again I'm looking for something, ideally 6 cores... and if more games if future would use more, I plan to upgrade to something better with a new GPU ( 1080 or AMD equivalent, if I catch a good price).

Also for RAM, which would be best option in either case? Will prices remain as it is, in nearby future?

Thanks for any help.

For the ram part go by the manufacturer website, check the support list and see what they recommend.
I'm not too certain but corsair vegence usually does best for asrock b150m mono.
I was just now shopping for ram, as always it is too high during Christmas time.
Either check eBay and look for ram under 100.00, Or wait till after Xmas, newegg will drop the prices.

For the cpu look at both and Intel's hexacore, If you plan on doing lots of work while trolling someone in PvP.
AMD is usually best for that, Intel has a better "IPC" rates for cpu gaming and higher end emulation.
I had a choice this month to choose between amd and intel.
I went with intel because it will have more possible ways to upgrade.
The haswell 4570 I have has really did a great job, just go eye shopping and choose what is best for you.

Last edited:
Back