TechSpot

Some CPU questions

By greatman05
Oct 16, 2006
  1. When you install a processor, is thermal compound included with the stock cooling and the processor? If so, when you apply the thermal compound, does this make removing the processor impossible? Also, if you reinstalled a processor with slightly bent pins into a computer's motherboard, what effect does this have on porcessor temps and stability?

2. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Yes, a thermal compound usually does come included preapplied on the stock cooling. No, the compound doesn't make it impossible to remove the processor, and how bent are the pins?

3. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 429

The 2 bent pins on the processor are bent at the bottom, but at the top of the pin, it's straight. The pins weren't bent enough to prevent me from reinstalling the processor.

4. cfitzarl

Well, if it works, I would monitor things like heat, although it will probably be fine.

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

as long as the pins make contact with the socket and aren't shorting out, you should be ok

6. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

How do you bend pins lol?

7. greatman05

IGNORE THIS POST: ERROR POSTWhat do you mean by shorting out?

8. greatman05

What do you mean by "shorting out"?

9. cfitzarl

Causing a short circuit...wish I could say more than that, but I'm not that electricity literite (damn physics!).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.