Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

Status
Not open for further replies.

geno368

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

Files in blue font indicate they are system files and are not to be touched unless you really know what you're doing!

Did you gradually run out of room or did your disk usage suddenly explode? If it's the latter, you have one or more corrupt files. If its the former, buy an external HDD and offload files you don't use often.

-- Andy

geno, those blue files are zipped (compressed) files. The Uninstall files for the Windows Update are in blue> if you show 'hidden files and folders'. This is done either by the system or MS.

Give me some stats on hard drive size and RAM.

And I can give you a program to remove all the temp files- but you need to take a look at the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. IF there are any programs you don't use or don't need, this would be a good time to uninstall them.

Have you been doing any maintenance on the system such as regular disc cleanups, error checks and defrags? (I understand you can't defrag now- I just want to know what kind of maintenance you've been doing.)

Some idea of the sizes of things please, and have you booted into safe mode and run chkdsk ?? RUN IT FIRST if you cannot understand why the drive is nearly full. If any errors are reported, then run chkdsk again to fix them (chkdsk /f)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back