Some help for choosing a new PSU

By manolis69
Jan 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

What system is this going into? Personally I would go for the coolermaster but I would probably choose Antec or Corsair over either of those.
  2. manolis69

manolis69 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 35

The system is 4-5 years old.
    Amd 3800 dual core
    Ati hd 5770 (was upgraded)
    Msi k9n platinum
    2 x kingston hyperx ddr2 rams dont remember the mhz
    One hdd 300gb dont really remember the brand it has been 4 years since i build it :)..
    And a thermaltake kandalf chassis.. overall the pc is pretty old but i dont have the budget for a new one. I just want to buy a new psu as my hyper type r 580w is dead...
    Post a link with the corsair u mentioned if you dont mind so i can take a look.
    Thanks for the reply
  3. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,259   +41

You dont need a 750 watt psu for that system.

What is your budget?
  4. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

A Corsair CX 500 or 450VX should be sufficient. If you would like to be on the safer side, the Corsair 550VX is a good bet.
  5. manolis69

Well my budget is around 100 euro..i know that 750w is way more than it's needed but i thought that if i build a new pc in the near future i could use it so i could save some money anyway i dont mind buying a 500w either...
  6. manolis69

I made a small research and i cant find the Corsair vx550w available in my country(damn Greece).So i found those:

Corsair CMPSU-650TXEU PSU (650W)

CORSAIR CX600 600 WATT BUILDER SERIES

CORSAIR VX450W

Corsair cx500

I cant find an Antec psu in my country btw...
  7. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

The HD 5770 should do fine on the CX 600. The CX 500 or the VX 450 might also cut it. The 650TX is an excellent PSU if you're inclined on spending a little more or if you have further upgrades (like a second GPU) in mind.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.