Some Samsung phones can be wiped by clicking a malicious link

By Shawn Knight
Sep 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A security researcher has discovered that a single line of code can start a factory reset on a number of Samsung handsets including the Galaxy S II. The payload can optionally include code that is capable of killing the SIM...

Read more
  2. Well played, Apple, Well played. If the courts wont work in your favor. Take matters into your own hands.
    ReederOnTheRun likes this.
  3. rvnwlfdroid

rvnwlfdroid TS Booster Posts: 120   +22

For all those Samsung users out there. Here is a 4 step process.

1. Root
    2. Titanium Backup
    3. Rom Manager (or which ever manager you choose)
    4. Install a ROM without TouchWiz.

Just a thought.
  4. rvnwlfdroid

rvnwlfdroid TS Booster Posts: 120   +22

Oh yah... and XDA can be your best friend.
  5. @guest above:

do you think this is apple's doing? it's been known since where cellphone still used monochrome display, there are several code we can input to our handset (any manufacturer/brand) that can conduct specific command without entering menu, one of them is to reset to factory setting
  6. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 304   +62

Hahaha the best part is that I could totally see them doing this. I'd actually put money on it. If this specifically isn't them, I'd bet they still have researchers somewhere in the company doing stuff like this.
  7. trparky

trparky TS Booster Posts: 151   +54

I'm more of a RootzWiki fan myself.
  8. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +58

Maybe even a die hard iphone fan trying to help his team, it's an odd hack tho, atleast information isn't stolen
  9. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,604   +370

Except the bug was misreported in the original story and affects other systems that don't use TouchWiz.
  10. DanUK

DanUK TS Booster Posts: 211   +9

Christ, that's one nasty payload.
  11. Why is mobile still so far behind with threat and virus protection? I'm not a mobile user, so this is a valid question to me. I have heard that it is getting worse. True?