Something is dead but what?

kelvo75

hey all, got a little problem with my AMD / Epox system
I've been out of the loop for sometime so please forgive any ignorance :)

the PC seems to be running .. ie can here the power supply on,an orange light on the front panel,but no monitor or any other function.Neither the power button or reset button on tower respond to being pressed and on the LED of motherboard displays FF. the FF displayed on Epox boards supposedly means everything is OK ... so something is obviopusly dying if not already dead .. any suggestions ?
help is much appreciated. :)

What board? I am running two EPoX 9NPA +Ultras and love 'em! And you are right about the FF.

Were you able to test the power supply with a digital multimeter?

Check for bulging caps on your motherboard.

the board is an Epox 8RDA31-PRO .. i've got a digital multimeter but unfortunately the limit of my ability with it is checking the voltage on the car battery LOL
what do i need to check for on power supply ? sorry but my knowledge is pretty limited with such things.

ok .. using the method of connecting the multimeter to an empty "4 pin molex" as described in the link .. i get 10.4 .. i'm assuming thats 10.4 volts and very low ......

That has to be your 12v reading and, yes, that is not a good read. I don't know if you had a chance to scroll down that link Igave you but here is some further information from that link:

The general range of safe voltages is as follows (plus or minus 5%, according to the ATX standard)

+12v rail (11.40v - 12.60v)

+5v rail (4.75v - 5.25v)

+3.3v rail (3.13 - 3.47v)

Just because it's within that range does not mean it's doing its job.

Good Results would....
-have little variation between idle and load
-stay very close to intended voltage (12.6 is not desirable)

Bad Results would....
-have a larger variation between idle and load
-go below the 5% ATX standard

*** What is the make and purported wattage of your power supply?

... its a BigAnt ATX Power Supply . 350W ... the voltages quoted on side of the unit are same listed in your previous post.

Well by your multimeter read on the 12v it isn't putting out the power your system needs. keep inh mind a faulty power supply can damage hardware including your motherboard.

What are the reads on the %v and 3.3v?

Test your 12v in another Molex connector. If you are not getting the safe parameter range with this second check then I would say it is time for a new power supply which I can help you with if you want.

well i feel like an ***** :( while i was pulling and prodding with the connectors etc i noticed a loud audible click when reconnecting the motherboard connector,plugged in the power supply and voila .. all systems normal. strange though how everything seemed powered up ... the thermo fans,the mobo LED etc, any theories ? thank for your help with the testing of the power supply .. I learnt a few things and it's sparked an interest in PC building again. :) not to mention assuming the worst and buying a new system.

That will do it. Have you tested your 12v again since this latest development? If and when you go to build I strongly suggest you come back here under this forum and ask away.

Just answer two questions before posting:

1. What do you want your system for/todo?

2. What is your budget?

* There is a ton of new hardware and for what we built our systems for 5 years ago you should see what you can get now.

yeah all voltages seem to be within spec. :)

I built this current system for gaming quite some time ago ... put it this was my G-force4-Ti 128mb was considered a top shelf Vid-Card :) only thing I've changed since then is the power supply and HDD that got fried in a storm,i upgraded the mobo and CPU at same time.

this forum is quite a wealth of info and will be definately consulting here again :)

Back