Something's wrong with my laptop :(

By djromikis
Jul 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have an 4 year old Acer laptop. Everything was alright until this summer when it started to freeze occasionally. Here are some exaples when and how it freezes. BTW I sometimes get a BSOD or just a shutdown, but mainly freezes.

1. It freezes more when I start a game or a hardware intensive tasks. But it's not an overheating problem, because, I could play a game for hours, it would get very hot and still run normally, but when I exit the game and start web browsing that is were I expect a freeze.
    2. When it freezes, I have to hold the power button for 5-10 sec to shut it down, and when I try to turn it on sometimes the screen won't go on for some reason and I have to repeat the turning off/on process a couple of times. It even happens if I have an external monitor plugged in.
    3. I tried to run memtest86 but it didn't find any errors so I assume its not the RAM.

I am really struggeling without a normal working laptop because I am a student and I dont like to go through it in my classes. And buying a new laptop is not an option right now :(

Waiting for suggestions. Thank you in advance =)
  2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,683   +152

It maybe your on board graphics chip. Hold on though maybe someone here will have a few ideals . You might want to post your BSOD and system specs ,Plus the make and model
  3. cookiedude

cookiedude TechSpot Booster Posts: 227

What graphics card does it have?
  4. djromikis

djromikis Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Unfortunately,my laptop died today :( Nvidia graphics card was fried and even baking it in the oven (cool ghetto way to fix a fried video card) didn't show any results. From now on I hate laptops :D Well, thanks for your replies anyway
  5. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,683   +152

I don't love laptops either I have one but I rarely use.I prefer my desktop overall.Sorry to hear the chip is fried.
  6. Razer

Razer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 131   +11

Hi, Djromikis, you got the same problem as mine, mainly freezes. I am using Asus W7 with nvidia gt7600m, it's dead after one and half year usage. The technician said that it was caused by overheating problem, I don't know exactly how, but, it might be that you've dried (evaporate?) the thermal paste or anything that causing the fan couldn't dissipate heat effectively..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.