Sony announces 11.1" ultraportable VAIO X notebook

By Matthew
Sep 2, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sony has introduced the new ultra-thin VAIO X laptop series today in Berlin at the IFA 2009 electronics event. There aren't too many details available yet, but based on reports from outfits attending the gathering, it's a premium ultra-portable with a non-glossy 11.1" display, a carbon fiber .55" chassis, and weighs a mere 1.5lbs.

Read the whole story
  2. wow...! thats neat. Very convenient. How small are they willing to go.
  3. shossofe

shossofe TechSpot Member Posts: 49

how much will this cost? I don't feel like paying over 2000 for something that can snap when I touch it @.@
  4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,259   +41

Bob...I'll take 599 usd.
  5. Well it's a sony so its gonna be expensive. It super portable that usually makes it even more expensive. I think it will be between $1000-2000. Let's say $1600.
  6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,061   +68

That's definitely the Sony modus operandi. With the carbon fiber (which is expensive enough as it is) chassis, I don't see this being any less that $1600, plus the additional cost of upgrades needed to make it run efficiently, ie. more ram. Sure it looks cool, but I think I'll pass on this one.
  7. LinkedKube

This is small, has to be a competitive price, 1600 is still too expensive. Its not a notebook capable of running productivity software efficiently.
  8. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,019   +83 Staff Member

Put me down for $1,300 -- although I wouldn't be shocked to see $1,600 haha.
  9. LinkedKube

well I still have the lowest price, so if all of you go over I'm the one coming down to the price is right!
  10. viperpfl

viperpfl TechSpot Member Posts: 40

The way Sony prices there computers, I am going to say $900. That would be with 2gb of memory and 250 gig hard drive. Right now Best Buy sells a Sony 10.1" netbook with 1 gig for $500. They did sell a 8" netbook with 2gb of memory for $900.
  11. Captain828

Captain828 TechSpot Guru Posts: 277

It depends on what it will come equipped with:
    - if it's Atom based, most likely 600-900, with the limited 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD or SSD;
    - if it's CULV based, >1500, with 2GB DDR3, 250GB HDD or SSD
  12. Wow, when she tried to open the lid, the lid actually bended! either sony needs to make it a bit more rigid, or i am just making assumptions and the lid is fine but that girl is really really strong....
  13. tengeta

tengeta TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632

That is not how you should ever open a screen that flimsy... wow.
    And I'm just about 95% sure that memory card slot is Sony MS compatable only, I'd rather have nothing there so it doesn't suck dust in.

14. BlasterLP

BlasterLP Newcomer, in training

Looks like it isnt built too strong, a screen like that wont last long if you travel much
  15. I was just at the Sony Store in Ginza Tokyo today and saw the notebook. It is a looker. I believe its listed as Yen 89,000... In today's conversion rate... a little less than $1000
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.