Sony announces waterproof Xperia ZR smartphone

By Nirkon
May 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sony has just announced the Xperia ZR, an Android-powered device featuring a rich 4.6-inch "OptiContrast OLED" screen with Bravia technology to reduce glare even in the brightest sunglight. It also packs a 13 megapixel camera, 2GB RAM and a Snapdragon...

Read more
  2. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 500   +76

Looks pretty interesting.
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,250   +458

Apple may be on the chopping block the next time I upgrade my phone. Any mobile device that holds up underwater is a winner in my book.
  4. Jamibi

Jamibi Newcomer, in training Posts: 24

Honestly would not recommend any Sony device after the service I'm getting with my Xperia Z. Sent it off for repairs on the 18th March, still not even got an ETA on when it's back. It's got so stupid that I've even made a song about Sony and sent it to them and the repair centre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0laGCgzyQJc

Just a heads up!
  5. How can something be "waterproof" but only "dust resistant"?
  6. Scshadow

Scshadow TechSpot Maniac Posts: 348   +37

I'd love to just toss my phone randomly into a cup of water and pretend to ignore the semi-concerned look on the faces of people around me.
  7. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179   +25

I have never gotten the point of waterproofing phones.
  8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,039   +695

Me neither, until one summer day I had my phone next to a pool on a towel and the one and only breeze that day lifted the towel and the phone into the pool. It was an HTC Evo 4G, and it happened two years ago and the phone is still working today. So I guess that's evidence of both needing and not needing waterproofing, depending on how you look at it. :)

There's probably some silly guideline in how they're measured. For example, it's only waterproof up to 5 feet or whatever, then all bets are off. Perhaps there's no distinction for dust proofing so they have to say resistant.
  9. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax Newcomer, in training

As an irrigation professional who spends his days kneeling over muddy puddles, I definitely get the point of waterproofing phones...
  10. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

I do think it's pretty common for people somehow end up with water damaged phones. Some people just have that 1 second brain fart where they drop something and just happen to be near water and have a phone.
  11. Sunny87

Sunny87 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 120   +11

Or like me have a one second brain fart whereby I jumped into a swimming pool fully clothed and with phone in pocket, mid dive you can only imagine the look on my face once I'd realised!

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,922   +724

Yeah, waterproof phones would definitely be handy for plumbers & others in the building trade.
  13. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,489   +302

Funny but the auto-tune is simply painful to listen to xD
  14. "How can something be "waterproof" but only "dust resistant"?"

there are two things electrical device must be protected from: against solid particle and liquid ingress, and these two are different problem, that's why the IP rating certification use two digits. The first digit determines level protection against solid particle, the second digit determines level protection against liquid ingress..
  15. "I have never gotten the point of waterproofing phones."

you will got the point until you accidentally get your phone damaged by water
  16. Jamibi

Jamibi Newcomer, in training Posts: 24

Haha, yeah we actually (believe it or not) went out of our way to make it intentionally really quite crap. Just for added humour. Sony actually replied to me, they thought it was hilarious and most of the customer service office apparently has heard it. hah.

Worth it!
    Burty117 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.