Sony buys out Ericsson from phone joint venture for $1.5bn

By Leeky
Oct 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Sony has agreed to buy Ericsson's 50 percent share in their Sony Ericsson mobile phone joint venture for $1.5 billion, making the mobile handset business a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony.…

Read the whole story
  2. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 864   +127

Bummer :( Even thought it would never happen, I honestly hoped Ericsson would split from Sony.
  3. mctommy

mctommy Newcomer, in training Posts: 73   +9

I had one phone from Sony Ericsson and it was utter crap. I used to own a phone from Ericsson before the venture and it was crap too. I don't think I'll ever go back to their phones... and this is coming from someone who likes his Sony LCD/LED TVs.
  4. Now their phones will suck even more...
  5. "it's the beginning of something which I think is quite magical."

so when they somehow achieve this "interconnectivity", what'll be magical is the massive security breaches LOL jk jk..Hans Vestberg set it up so well :p

On a more realistic note, this may be a good thing for Sony, get "fresh blood" into the company and hopefully they'll learn from each other and their past mistakes.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.