Sony Ericsson sues Clearwire over logo trademark

By Matthew
Jan 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Sony Ericsson has sued Clearwire for using a logo that allegedly violates trademark and copyright laws. Both companies use a similar sphere/swirl design, except Sony Ericsson has branded its products with the logo for longer and it thinks Clearwire is undermining the investment it took to etch the image in customers' minds.

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

Ok that's insane. How about nvidia sues them both for using the color green. The logos aren't really alike other then the colors used.
  3. Enix should sue them ALL!!! they've been around longest
  4. princeton

I actually laughed at that. Nice one :p
  5. You have to be blind or stupid to not be able to tell the difference between the 2.
  6. bakape

bakape TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 123

Which supposedly describes their target market.
  7. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 629   +122

I hope Sony lose this court case too
  8. Cota

Cota TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Thats is, screw you Sony, im going home.
  9. yowanvista

yowanvista Newcomer, in training Posts: 82

Totally stupid with those lawsuits
  10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

First time I'm seeing either logo frankly. As a tabula rasa, I vote not the same.

11. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 802   +8

Um, not really. They look pretty different to me. Clearwire has an obvious swirls, where Sony has a...um...not sure I would exactly call that a swirl. Plus, Clearwire always has "Clearwire" under their logo.

Can you say "drama queen"?

Yeah...i'd very much like to see the proof there.

You better have the request in writing so you can prove it. And if you did indeed tell them to change it, you obviously didn't set any sort of strict guidelines.

If Sony can prove they contacted Clearwire and CW didn't do as asked, then Sony does have a slight chance at winning for copyright purposes as long as their copyright is legit and not too general. Otherwise, I think clearwire is going to be laughing through this whole thing.
  12. Vicenarian

Vicenarian TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 100   +9

"...and is seeking at least $150,00 in compensation."

Wow...they must be really broke.
  13. Go ahead and sue them over that stupid toilet freshener logo.
  14. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet Newcomer, in training Posts: 115

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. Sony has got to be hard up for cash. Stupid law suits. Remember when that lady sued McDonalds for like $121981912131 dollars for ordering coffee, then getting burned because there was no indication on the cup saying that the coffee was hot. Fing stupid people.
  15. Mizzou

Mizzou TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 930

The two are clearly different ... just looks like a couple of marbles to me anyway. What's next, does Sony plan to copyright the color red?
  16. @CamaroMullet

About the Mcdonalds Coffee, there actually a reason why McDonalds got in trouble, and it wasn't due to just missing "hot" on the cup. http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm
  17. princeton

cough...alreadymadecolorjoke...cough :p
  18. Mizzou

Oops ... missed it.
  19. princeton

I was just kidding around. But your comment was correct, it's simply such a dumb claim that copyrighting a colour in a logo isn't far off.
  20. Mizzou

That's cool :) ... but honestly it really seems that Sony is constantly working our courts to achieve their goals.
  21. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Guru Posts: 676   +41

Talk about Greedy, nuff said
  22. myGodwhatisnext

myGodwhatisnext Newcomer, in training

in the words of the late Rick James..... SonyE..... Cocaine is a terrible drugs... your executives need to stop snorting and work on your products.... sheesh...
  23. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,000   +11

the logo aren't much alike.

beside SE logo are nothing spectacular. i got a SE bluetooth headset and I wish i could erase the logo.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.