Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY Smartphone Review

This would have been nice if it had an Nvidia Tegra 2 or something. But I don't see playing old PS One games too appealing anymore.

It's a sony. Do not want.

Unless there are actually killer titles that blow other touch screen-based games out of the water, this is going to fail even harder than the psp go. Plus it's a sony so that's already a huge drawback for any potential buyers.

"Fast processor"

Uh is this a mistake? A single core snapdragon with an adreno 205 on a gaming phone is considered fast? It's not even as powerful as the galaxy S from 2010.

Man Dan Seifert must have been pretty out of it to write that.

What happened to Sony?Maybe too much intellectual property protection?Too much Apple-like behavior without associated crowd of followers? I guess enough is enough for everyone once liked Sony.

I have to say I was impressed with it when I looked at it. It might not be the best phone ever released, but given what it can do, combined with Gingerbread, without the carrier customisations, and with all the usual features, how can it not be worth considering?

I'm going to be ordering one shortly, as my everyday replacement - will be ideal along with my Alienware laptop for the frequent travelling I'm now doing. :)

Think playing games on a train, or on the bus, or while waiting in a queue... etc... :haha:

what this phone needs is a good PSX emulator, really don't want to be tied down to the games Sony decides to release for it.

I've had mine for 2 weeks now and I am extremely happy with it. I travel for work and was looking for something to play games, go hiking/cyclcing with, workout, watch movies, listen to music while I'm traveling, take pictures and video, and GAMING!
I like the stock Gingerbread experience without all the bloatware I saw in other phones. Granted, this is my first smartphone, but given my primary email service is Gmail and I use the Google calendar, it has been great. Agree that the phone quality and battery life is excellent. I actually plug the phone into my car radio via the 3.5mm jack and use it in speaker phone mode and it works great! Not to mention Pandora streams without any drops (From NY through NJ and Central PA).
The 4G phones from Verizon are not up to snuff. The Droid X2 doesn't have a front facing camera and is not 4G so Motorola lost me on that product. Given I was out a phone, and I enjoy gaming, this was a great option.
Not mentioned in this article, yes, all smartphones can play games, but the gamepad works with all Android games so I don't have to constantly touch the screen. I don't understand how this phone is running so smoothly with a single core and 512mb RAM, but it will surprise you as it did me. I agree with the reviewer that I believe games specifically made for this device making the most use out of the hardware will eventually be out in the market and look great. But for now, the most fun I'm having is with some of the Android market games.
Eventhough it doesn't sport the Tegra2 processor, many of the HD specific games look fantastic on it (i.e. StarBattallion) and run smoothly. Sadly, Madden NFL, Crash, and Bruce Lee do indeed look like PS1 games and it stinks.
Not mentioned in this article also, I find the GPS is great. I've taken this with me hiking and bicycling and use apps for training. the Android Navigation app is intuitive and also accurate. It all works very well if not excellent.
Not mentioned in this article too is that the speakers on this phone are amazing. Much louder than TBolt or DroidX2 and sound quality is better than the Gz'one.
Another thing not mentioned in this article is that it is expected that by the end of the year Google talk will support the front facing camera for video chat, so we'll wait and see. I can say that I've video chatted via WiFi and it works well. Via 3G don't bother.
Eventhough the camera is 5MP all of my outdoor shots are looking really good and I've made some into 5x8's and they are clear. Regarding the video, the 480p looks great on the phone and computer screen. But I agree, it does not look good on my 50" HDTV once I burn onto DVD. The LCD screen of the phone...I agree with the reviewer in that it has that rich color of a TBolt, however, glare is pretty bad outdoors or if you have a light behind you. I couldn't walk out without the anti-glare screen from the store.

This phone definitely satisfies the gamer in me. As a smartphone, camera, video camera, and GPS it's great for my lifestyle. I see Sony replacing PSP's with something like this. The day the Gen 2 comes out as a 4G, Tegra2(or 3), 8-12MP camera, (etc. etc.) phone I will definitely upgrade.

The reviewer forgot that the PS Suite will be supported by the Xperia Play and the the soon to be coming PS Vita. There, you will be able to find all the glory of the PS1 games to download when it is available. It seems to me that Sony is phasing out the PSP to be replaced by the Play (for low end gaming and smartphone use) and the monstrously powerful PS Vita (for the hardcore gamers who want a dedicated handheld gaming device). Even the PS Network might get phased out in lieu of the PS Suite...

For me, this phone is great. Im older now and love my classic games, but i dont need or want a PS Vita or 3DS. I want a phone that can entertain me while on the Subway (or the toilet) with games i used to love and yet still have all the capabilities of Android. In fact, this phone has Android+ as it is one of the few out there with Gingerbread, and vanilla Gingerbread to boot, which makes it clean and wonderful.

The extra heft is marginal. The device looks sexy all the same. To me, the large 4.5 inch screen Androids out there are too big, even if they are crazy thin. Id rather have a smaller height and length and would give up some width to get it. Especially when the width given up is done so to add a kickass game controller!

Back