TechSpot

Sony expects to sell three million PlayStation 4 consoles by the end of the year

By Shawn Knight
Nov 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sony is expecting to sell at least three million PlayStation 4 gaming consoles by the end of the year and five million by next March according to president and chief executive officer of Sony’s U.S. computer entertainment division Jack Tretton.

Read more

2. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

Sounds realistic to me. I figure just over two million for the XB1 by Jan 1st, with its first quarter numbers depending entirely on how fast the titles show up and how much bait-and-switch Microsoft engages in.

3. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,077   +102

Just because Xbox One is not launching in many countries (including mine), I put the numbers somewhere around 2-3 times lower than PS4's. I'd be surprised if does better.

4. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 930   +106

With over one million pre-orders alone, the holiday season around the corner, and the fact that it's $200 less than the PS3 at launch ($100 if you count the 20GB model) I don't see the 3 million unit target to be that far-fetched, also they have more positive press globally than the competition.

lmike6453 likes this.
  5. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

I'd day that's a safe bet. As long as they can be manufactured they'll get sold. The few hold-outs will be from people who aren't ready to switch for backwards compatibility reasons and those without the cash to plunk down on a new system / accessories.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,183   +767

Possibly supply won't be a problem (although I won't hold my breath) but what's the bet the PSN will buckle under the load...

avoidz likes this.
  7. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 547   +88

Oh, this is not even a bet. If ALL PS4 buyers are required to do a day one update that is 300MB in size I can see their servers crashing periodically or at least being painstakingly slow. I'm hoping that the majority of midnight launchers have theirs updated before I get mine from Amazon later that Friday so I can avoid this.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,183   +767

I wish you luck, you're gonna need it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.