Sony FMP-X1 4K media player to arrive this summer for $699

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’re in the market for one of Sony’s new 4K LED televisions then you’ll no doubt be interested in picking up the accompanying 4K media streaming box. The company announced pricing and availability for the FMP-X1 media player as well as two compatible televisions over the weekend and as you can imagine, none of the gear is cheap.

The 55-inch XBR-55X900A 4K Ultra HD LED television will set you back $4,999 while the larger 65-inch XBR-65X900A will retail for $6,999 beginning April 21 in stores and online. The media streamer will be available sometime this summer but unfortunately it won’t have access to Sony’s online 4K distribution service out of the box.

sony fmp-x1 media player

Instead, the FMP-X1 will come bundled with 10 feature films and some short videos to show off the 4K goodness. Included with your $699 purchase is Bad Teacher, Battle: Los Angeles, The Bridge on the River Kawi, The Karate Kid (2010), Salt, Taxi Driver, That’s My Boy, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Other Guys and Total Recall. The good news here is that several of these movies are actually quality films and not just some filler used for demonstration purposes.

Support for the aforementioned online 4K video distribution service will arrive in the fall. When it does, users will have complete access to a full catalog of 4K movies and shows, albeit for a fee. It’s unclear at this time whether Sony will employ some sort of subscription program or if users will have to purchase or rent films individually.

Permalink to story.

If they can get that 84 inch 4K screen below 10K I'll grab one of those and then this might be appealing.

It's sound very nice and all but I'll wait for 4k to become mainstream AND a drastic price reduction before I take any real interest.

I think 4k is the next step. Not this gimmicky 3D BS.
Then OLED. Then glasses free 3D. The 3D era we are in now is failing but for some reason they wanna continue to play that game.

And they push passive 3D like it's an improvement! "Look, you can play split-screen games in full screen! We just scale up the picture and distort it, and you can see the other 'screen', but BUY ME!"

Back