Sony: if you crack your PS3, you'll get banned

Emil

Staff

Sony Computer Entertainment has released a statement regarding PlayStation 3 circumvention devices and pirated software. It's what everyone expected it to be: if Sony finds out that you have cracked your PS3, you'll get banned from the PlayStation Network and will not longer have access to Qriocity services. The only thing that surprises us is that it didn't come sooner.

Sony says that by identifying PS3s that breach its guidelines and terminating their ability to connect to PSN, the company is protecting its business and preserving the honest gameplay experiences that the rest of its community expects and deserves. The electronics giant emphasized that this message does not apply to the overwhelming majority of its users who enjoy the console without breaching the company's guidelines. It urges these gamers to "continue doing so without fear."

Sony is still threatening to sue anybody posting or distributing PS3 jailbreak code. The company is demanding that a federal judge order Google and Twitter to surrender details of anyone who looks at the illegal content. This is despite the fact that Sony accidentally tweeted the PlayStation 3 security key last week.

Sony's legal attacks against the hackers that released the PS3 root key and custom firmware began last month. The group known as fail0verflow is accused of posting a rudimentary hack in December 2010 after finding security codes for the PS3. It was refined by GeoHot weeks later when he independently found and published the PS3 root key. The resulting hacks allow homebrew apps and pirated software to run on unmodified consoles.

The full statement regarding said cracking is below:

Notice: Unauthorized circumvention devices for the PlayStation 3 system have been recently released by hackers. These devices permit the use of unauthorized or pirated software. Use of such devices or software violates the terms of the “System Software License Agreement for the PlayStation 3 System” and the “Terms of Services and User Agreement” for the PlayStation Network/Qriocity and its Community Code of Conduct provisions. Violation of the System Software Licence Agreement for the PlayStation 3 System invalidates the consumer guarantee for that system. In addition, copying or playing pirated software is a violation of International Copyright Laws. Consumers using circumvention devices or running unauthorized or pirated software will have access to the PlayStation Network and access to Qriocity services through PlayStation 3 system terminated permanently.

To avoid this, consumers must immediately cease use and remove all circumvention devices and delete all unauthorized or pirated software from their PlayStation 3 systems.

Permalink to story.

I'm glad that the only sony thing I've ever owned as a CD player that I got as a gift

yRaz said:
I'm glad that the only sony thing I've ever owned as a CD player that I got as a gift
Yeah, I can't say that I'll ever get one of their products. I don't think I ever have anyway, but this just makes me all the more resolved. That and the fact that I'm a bit of a Samsung fanboy. ;)

Hackers, if you try to ban us sony we'll just make it harder for you to find us.

Isnt that what happened with the Xbox 360????????

one ban wave, and now they can barely catch anyone?

I think that's fair enough but how will they ban people permanently if they just create a new user or get a new PS3, ban the IP address? anyways I think this is fir enough.

I understand the game hacking and pirating concerns, but this is getting too annoying, they keep making their gaming systems to be limited PCs but don't allow innovation. look at the xbox kincet for example. Microsoft is happy with people have done with it.

I'm sticking with PC games

Ofcourse Xbox is Happy, once something comes around that takes the world by storm..They hire that person, mass produce is and more millions!!

Sony on the other hand, threatens you, sues you, loses millions, loses more millions, pisses off hackers, loses more millions and then in the end they have to put CD keys on their games which

Will ruin their business for Renters and Used game Buyers.

Thought Sony would have made this move sooner, it's been standard practice on Xbox Live for quite a while.

Hard to believe that Sony still believes they can magically make the jailbreak code go away by threatening to sue anyone that has knowledge of it. Aside from the fact they are on very shaky legal ground, I don't think the courts are going to be all that sympathetic after one of their own employees just published the code.

piracy is great! Sony sold many ps1/ps2 thanks to piracy. Everyone loves free games. The most blocked console in the market fails.

stupid, stupid sony.
ebay sales for banned ps3s are going to rocket, and so are xbox 360 sales.
its a lose lose.

Took long enough. Still, with their stroppy attitude, it's safe to say that Sony have basically forfeited their place in the console arms race.

I doubt sony has lost the console arms race to be fair, im a hardcore pc fanboi myself and im thinking of buying a ps3, some of u might think im being stoopid for that sole comment, but sometimes its hard to feel at home on the pc when u find numerous hacks ruining the gameplay for those that play these games and enjoys the various skill lvl´s we all carries......

And also i find it hard when some great games being launched for consoles only, games that looks so good....but i cant have....

.....Still pisses me off when a game can win "game of the year" without being launched for pc aswell, how the ****!!!!!! is that even possible!!!

ps. The entire worlds worst word combined cant even remotly come close to how i feel about cheaters and hackers, wish u could track them down and as a wise man once said to a noble knight "PAIN!!! lots of PAIN!!!!!!"

zillion said:
I doubt sony has lost the console arms race to be fair, im a hardcore pc fanboi myself and im thinking of buying a ps3

I honestly wouldn't bother. I've got a PS3 and I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I used it.

zillion said:
its hard to feel at home on the pc when u find numerous hacks ruining the gameplay for those that play these games and enjoys the various skill lvl´s we all carries......

PS3s and Xboxs have exploiters and hackers too, even before the actions of Geohot.

zillion said:
.....Still pisses me off when a game can win "game of the year" without being launched for pc aswell, how the ****!!!!!! is that even possible!!!

It's possible because the higher quality games tend to be machine specific. Coding a game for one machine tends to yield higher quality and better optimization of the hardware provided. A game that's ported onto every machine and it's baby transistor on the otherhand generally have sloppier coding and poorer quality compared to what they should've been.

zillion said:
ps. The entire worlds worst word combined cant even remotly come close to how i feel about cheaters and hackers, wish u could track them down and as a wise man once said to a noble knight "PAIN!!! lots of PAIN!!!!!!"

Would you mind reconstructing that into a legible sentence or statement?

Oh no, people are getting mad because they can no longer use their game console as a computer? They can't use their hacked systems to run pirated games and cheat? Oh the horror. /sarcasm

Remember the day when a game console was just a game console? Everybody was happy. Pop in the game, stare at the screen for several hours, then go to bed. I'm still saving up for a PS3. Why should it matter that they're doing this? Hacked systems mean pirated games and people using cheats to make games not so fun for others. I say "GO SONY!" And if you have a hacked system and don't actually do anything bad with it...well...tough sh*t :p

You know maybe if sony didn't take away the "Other OS" option people might not of hacked their PS3

Agreed about the other OS comment if Sony hadn't removed it they really would be fine... Most people don't hack to cheat I join lots of games and hardly find any cheaters and even if Sony ends up losing a lot of people will not jailbreak as in the iPhone community not a lot of people jailbreak, Back to cheating, I modded my original xbox and had amazing newfound "skills" at certain games but after winning and winning without any effort it gets boring and I'd end up wanting to play legitly the only fun mod was halo2 where I could shoot cool barriers out of my plasma pistols and climb to the heavens oh yeah! MODDING FTW ! Go Geohot keep making my electronics much more amazing than the companies that created them would ever dare to

Back