Sony intros most affordable Vaio yet, the M series netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

It took a while for Sony to enter the netbook market, but now they seem to be reinforcing their commitment to this budget-minded segment by releasing the new M series. The netbook -- or mini notebook, as Sony likes to call them -- looks a lot like the W series unveiled last year with two key differences: the Vaio M has a 1.66GHz Intel Atom N450 Pine Trail processor, rather than the old N280, and its 10.1-inch screen only supports a 1024 x 600 resolution instead of 1366 x 768.

It also includes a beefier 250GB hard drive pre-loaded with Windows 7 Starter Edition and the same 1GB of DDR2 RAM. Graphics come courtesy of an integrated Intel GMA 3150 chip, there's a built-in webcam and connectivity options such as 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR and three USB 2.0 ports. It's reasonably light at around 3 pounds and comes with a 6-cell battery. While pricing isn't official, the system is expected to sell for around $450 when it hits the U.S.

Permalink to story.

hello...

what another SONY news !!!? hummm, seem like you've been working hard to get all our attention, OK Sir, Mister SONY chief, i'm all listening & happy to see that this VAIO will be quite 'cheap' for once, LOL!

don't worry i'm a SONY fan, even if i don't blow wind i do spend a lot for other products & soon maybe i'll get myself that green PW pack of yours

cheers!

Have to say I'm not very impressed...
The netbook I have from acer has 2gb DDR2 ram, same hard drive space, same bluetooth, same wireless, also integrated graphics, bigger screen, bigger resolution, slightly slower processor, vista starter, but retailed for I think closer to $300 when I got it. Where's the good deal with this Sony?

Well for starters acer netbooks are garbage. I had one. They use much cheaper components than anyone else.

True, Acer's are rubbish quality. The sony will probably last years longer being taken around with you everyday than the acer which would eventually dissintergrate in your hand.

Sony is the best brand of electronics for me but it is the most expensive I guess.... This one is a little too expensive as well but it's nice that sony offers lower price on this product.

Looks schmick, but the price to performance ratio won't do it for me. I wouldn't have any problem buying from sony though (All my Hard Drives are Sony), during the last few years they have really stepped up as an electronics company and shown us what they can do.

Thats nice sony, getting better, but still not what i'm looking for, price needs to drop a bit, and start useing more standard options, like mobo, chipset, mem... etc... this perpriatary hardware is getting old. and step up the Resulution. 10x6, blah, thats sad. maybe install touch screen, that would be nice too.

Let's face it. Some people buy computers based on brand names and like to pay a premium for the logo. I buy computers based on features that I want then price/value. When I see people who paid a premium for their computers, I know right away that they have unresolved issues. I personally don't have brand loyalty. The only exception to this rule is when a company offers free products that are useful.

I would say rather average, for a little more money you can get the HP mini 311. Lack of HD display drags its down since HD playback is a big part of netbook capabilities, other than that I think is a pretty solid netbook.

"I'ts 10.1-inch screen only supports a 1024 x 600 resolution instead of 1366 x 768"

"Windows 7 Starter Edition"

"same 1GB of DDR2 RAM"

Doesn't seem like much of an improvement.

Why is this like a hundred and fifty dollars more than every other netbook out there? There isn't much that's special about it. Just cause it says Vaio on the top? I'm calling shennanigans.

To be completely honest, for that price, tack on another $100 to $150 and get a full fledge laptop. Id rather have the whole enchilada for that amount of dough.

Four letter words "Sony" and "Vaio" are to PCs like Mac is to the other camp. They make good products, but they tend to be a bit overpriced. Still, It seems better priced than the new Asus 11" (guestimate) price. Wait for street prices to judge.

Another netbook, with the same design and specs. *Yay...*
If you buy this and plan on to upgrade it, Sony makes it pretty hard to upgrade these things versus an Acer or HP.

I have had a soft spot for Vaio notebooks ever since they hit the market in 2000. They have beautiful screens and tend to be more multimedia friendly then most notebooks (apart from Apple powerbooks that is). The only issue has always been price as Sony tends to make top heavy products. It's nice to see a reasonable price for this product.

i'm not sure why people are bashing acer... i've had no problems with their computers. and for the price you're paying, i wouldn't complain. sony on the other hand... you are paying more because of the name. but anyways, good to see sony coming up with 'lower end' systems at more affordable prices

Still overpriced for what you get. I've had my Acer Aspire One for a year and paid only $200 for it and it has nearly the same specs sans bluetooth, but my $2 bluetooth dongle fixes that....so why pay more for the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back