Sony knocks $50 off PS3, intros €99 PSP

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It's hard to believe the holiday shopping season is already looming on the horizon, but Sony's preparing for this year's festivities with a $50 global price reduction on the PlayStation 3. The move places Sony's base 160GB console at $250, €250 and ¥25,000, while the 320GB unit is $300, €300, and ¥30,000. America and Europe should witness the cuts immediately (Amazon US has updated its pricing), while Japan will have to wait until Thursday, August 18.

To further entice shoppers, Sony will offer its 320GB console with a copy of Infamous 2 (released in early June with a decent Metascore) and a 30-day PlayStation Plus membership for $300. PlayStation Plus usually costs $50 a year and grants access to free games, discounts, exclusive demos, full one-hour game trials, and priority beta invites. The bundle is a limited edition run and it's only available through participating retailers (Newegg currently has it in stock).

This represents the PS3's first price reduction since 2009's Slim model and is undoubtedly meant to strengthen Sony's position against Microsoft's Xbox 360, which has been the top-selling console for 13 out of the last 14 months. Nonetheless, SCEA CEO Jack Tretton contests that Sony's rivals are "losing steam" while the PS3 is "gaining momentum" and offers the best all-around entertainment solution for gamers as well as movie, television and sports buffs.

We'll let you decide if that's true, but as it stands the base 4GB Xbox 360 is $200, making the 160GB PS3 a solid value -- especially when you consider its Blu-ray player. That's also seen when comparing the upper-end systems as $300 gets you a 320GB PS3 or 250GB Xbox 360, and again that's disregarding the superior optical drive and the Infamous 2 offer. It's unclear if Microsoft plans to respond by lowering its prices, but the ball is certainly in Redmond's court.

Despite leading sales charts for years, Nintendo's Wii has lost momentum in recent times and the company responded in May with its own $50 reduction, placing the entry-level Mario Kart package at $150. In a separate move, Nintendo also slashed $80 off its 3DS handheld console late last month following lackluster launch sales. That change was slated for last Friday and many retailers reportedly jumped the gun, so it should be easy to find a $170 3DS.

sony ps3 psp

In somewhat related news, Sony has also announced a new budget version of its PlayStation Portable. Intended to serve as an affordable alternative to the pricier Vita, the new PSP E-1000 will launch in Europe this fall for €99 (no word on North American availability). Unlike the digital-only PSPgo, the new device will lack Wi-Fi connectivity and will be compatible with "all" PSP games. Content will be accessed via UMD or transferred via Sony's Media Go software.

Permalink to story.

NTAPRO said:
I prefer the 120gb model for some reason... I dunno why though.

You do realise you can take out the Hard Drive of any of the models and just replace it right?

Do you actually mean that you prefer the fatter PS3's over the slims?

Well I mainly meant that because of the firmware. I have the 120gb slim model that came with the first Drake's Fortune. I would buy an older PS3 model if I have the money though.

Not bad, but I'd still rather put that money toward future computer upgrades.

Igneus the Bold said:
Not bad, but I'd still rather put that money toward future computer upgrades.

I agree. Even with the newer model of the PSP, I would still recommend the 1000-3000 series. Anything before the PSP Go lol.

Still $249-$299 for a 5 year old console sounds expensive to me. With PS4/720 not too far out, these consoles should be in the $149-199 range by now. I just spend $130 on PC upgrades after selling my old parts. Those upgrades will easily last me another 2 years and I'll have FAR superior graphics and be able to pick up Steam games for $5-15. Every time I try to justify getting a console to play some of their great exclusives, I am faced with the decision to drop $250+ or invest it into my PC which I use for things other than gaming too.

I suppose I'll just wait until PS3 drops to $99 and pick up 10 of their best games on the cheap (since they'll be greatest hits by then ;))

Guest said:
Still $249-$299 for a 5 year old console sounds expensive to me. With PS4/720 not too far out, these consoles should be in the $149-199 range by now. I just spend $130 on PC upgrades after selling my old parts. Those upgrades will easily last me another 2 years and I'll have FAR superior graphics and be able to pick up Steam games for $5-15. Every time I try to justify getting a console to play some of their great exclusives, I am faced with the decision to drop $250+ or invest it into my PC which I use for things other than gaming too.

I suppose I'll just wait until PS3 drops to $99 and pick up 10 of their best games on the cheap (since they'll be greatest hits by then ;))

Sounds like a plan. Might be a few years for the price to be that low unless something critical happens...

sorry, your PS3 stills costs twice as much as my xbox.
And ill stick to paying for xbl, as i dont get my personal info stolen.
But nah, no console war.
Neither one beats PC gaming. console is just simpler, as you dont have to deal with can i run it issues and errors and all that. I still prefer PC though..

Umm...The Xbox 360 is more expensive. Unless of course you don't want online and were looking to play the best 1st party games available. Oh wait...That's the PS3. Even the Wii has better exclusives. Reach is good, but without online? Get it used and return it within 7 days if you want to spend less than the ps3. Free online...The way gaming is meant to be.

hello ...

was in need to buy a new PS3 since the fat is getting fishy with the overheating issue & as a serious, game lover would say, it's not about the GFX, not about the price, but the fun in it ... If i had time i would own all of the platforms out there, but hey i'm only human & the PC takes most of my time with a 2004 game :p

i would say no to the E-1000 PSP even if i have some free PSP games off the WB package, but i would rather wait for a 2nd release of the PSV & sure hope it will be backward compatible.

cheers!

Guest said:
Just realise that it will take a few years after PS4 release to reach that price. The PS2 dropped to $99 in 2009, so you're probably looking at more than a 5 year wait for the PS3 to reach that price.

I'm glad 250 USD still equates to 250 Euros

American poster here,
and i don't quite agree with this.
(at all)

ET3D,

Ya I know. I have plenty of games to keep me occupied on the PC for now :). Plus, if these exclusive games are true classics like say Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time or Panzer Dragoon Saga or Super Mario 64, then I am sure I'll still enjoy them even 3-4 years from now.

I just can't see myself buying a $250 console when the PS4 may be $500 and still have backwards compatibility with PS3 too. So I mean if I really wanted a console, I'd probably wait another 2 years and get that. In the meantime I could spend that $250 on these:

I mean with Diablo 3, Battlefield 3, F1 2011, Starcraft 2 (2 more expansions), Metro 2034, Mass Effect 3, Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM, RAGE, Batman: Arkham City, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Max Payne 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, LA Noire, Tomb Raider there is enough to keep me occupied for AT LEAST 12 months!

I think I'll get another PS3 soon to double as a bluray player in the other room. This is good news for me.

They're gonna have to knock off a hell of a lot more than that before I buy a SONY product again, after that epic security fail of theirs. Besides, the PS3 only runs butchered Xbox 360 games anyway. And their Vita thing is like the new Wii. I'm gonna love to hate that thing for years to come. What's wrong with a gamepad? I don't want a 4th dimensional octa-limb operable uber-contraption in order to play some simple games. Jesus Christ!

Guest said:
I can't wait to NOT BUY ONE. Sony = DO NOT WANT.
This late in the game and a next gen console due sometime soon? Yeah, I don't want one either. The $50 saved, meh... If Sony didn't draw me in before, this wont change my mind.

Lol! This is $50 off of a NEW PS3 not a used PS3. Tell me where I can buy a NEW XBOX 360 for around $100. Also for your information, the XBOX 360 is older than the PS3.

Back