Sony launching PlayMemories Online next week with 5GB of free storage

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony has announced that their media-sharing service will go live next week in six countries. Users in Canada, France, Germany, Japan, the UK and the US will have access to 5GB worth of free media storage starting May 25.

Dubbed PlayMemories Online, the content-sharing service will allow users to upload images and videos from their Sony camera using PlayMemories Home software on either a Windows PC or Mac.

Additionally, pictures can be sent to the service through Android smartphones or tablets using an app that will be downloadable through the Google Play store. Select Sony cameras with built-in WiFi will be able to send photos to handsets or tablets to upload.

Once online, content can be viewed through a number of different outlets. Bravia TV owners and Sony digital picture frame users can stream images directly to each device while gamers have access to the same content using a PSP or PS Vita.

The cloud storage service was originally announced last month, adding Sony’s name into the already plentiful remote storage / sharing market. The Japanese multinational conglomerate is hoping that the ability to access content from a vast number of devices will draw even more customers to their solution. It’s similar to what Apple has in place with iCloud where users can access the same content across all iOS devices.

No word yet on if additional storage will be available to purchase.

Permalink to story.

Do people really care about their homemade media that much? if i take i pic or a vid, i just go home and transfer it to my PC. Do people really have a need for this every day?

ever since sony had those rootkits in CDs i've never trusted them with anything, i wont trust them with my private info too.

Yeah, Sony is always late to get in the game, late to hear their clients, late to get a clue... this is why their online gaming ventures fail horribly.
No, you do not want to trust these people with Anything sensitive, valuable, sentimental, or noteworthy. I would not let these guys borrow my toaster, let alone my videos and photos.
The muck up everything they touch.

Be wary.

Back