Sony PCV-RS420 - make a dummy network computer?

By ArkansasBen
Jan 27, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've had the Sony PCV-RS420 since December 2003 and just replaced it today with a Dell XPS X430-121B. Since I didn't spring for a KVM switch box, where I could just switch back and forth, I'd like to do the following:

Take the RS420, have no keyboard/mouse/monitor hooked up to it, but have it networked to the new Dell and be able to share files, remote into it, whatever.

How do I accomplish this?

I 'think' I would go into the BIOS and turn off any/all warnings that popup when there is no keyboard/mouse attached, right? Anything else I need to do? Do I need to login to it, or once it displays the Vista login screen, I'll be able to access the shared folders from the Dell?

As far as O/S goes, the Sony has Vista Ultimate and the Dell has Home Premium 64-bit. I know to put them in the same workgroup and setup the drives shares on the Sony, but is there anything else I need to do as far as setting up a user to give access, etc?

Thanks for any assistance...
    Ben
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.