Sony Pictures secures film rights to Glenn Greenwald's book on Edward Snowden

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sony pictures glenn greenwald snowden nsa sony movie film rights

Sony Pictures Entertainment has acquired the rights to Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Glenn Greenwald’s new book, No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA and the U. S. Surveillance State. The film will be produced by Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson, the duo responsible for many of the movies in the James Bond franchise.

In a statement on the matter, the producers said the book is a terrifying personal account of one of the most relevant political events of our time and they are thrilled to be working with Greenwald to bring the story to the big screen.

As the title highlights, the book – released just yesterday – delves into a number of surveillance programs brought to light by National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden over the past year. The various revelations have opened up a whole new narrative on the topic of personal privacy and have prompted the Obama administration to regulate the NSA’s actions.

For Sony, it’s yet another opportunity to bring a real-life tech-related story to theaters. The studio was responsible for 2010’s The Social Network and is currently working with Aaron Sorkin on a Steve Jobs biopic. We also recently learned that Sony acquired the rights to create a film based on Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg’s female empowerment book, Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead.

Permalink to story.

In the following news, Edward Snowden uncovers and publishes about a world-wide corporate conspiracy between Sony and Glenn Greenwald, building allegations around him. In a public address, Edward Snowden states: "I was never a rat, I just wanted to eat".

edward-snowden-cartoon.jpg

No movie until we see how it ends I hope.

Anyone else hear the latest about his leaks? On the WSJ there was a story about the documents he stole. They said about 99% of the 1.7 million docs had nothing to do with the US spying on us. They all had to do with "military capabilities, operations, tactics, techniques and procedures." Looks like the spying leaks were just a cover for what he was really being paid to do.

@MilwaukeeMike
That is exactly what NSA would like us to think. If they would like to prove this, I am all ear. I certainly will not take them at their word or listen to them speculate at reasons to classify him a traitor. If they prove Snowden is selling documents, I will change my stance, and call him a traitor myself. I cannot call anyone a traitor, when all evidence is being held behind closed doors or worse yet non-existent.

I don't think there's any question about whether he's a traitor or not - he clearly is. I think he should be tried for treason.

I don't think there's any question about whether he's a traitor or not - he clearly is. I think he should be tried for treason.
Sure for a government no longer run by the people for the people. But if our government wants us to continue thinking they represent us, they had better think twice before charging him with treason and not supply us with proof to back it up.

Sure for a government no longer run by the people for the people. But if our government wants us to continue thinking they represent us, they had better think twice before charging him with treason and not supply us with proof to back it up.
Unfortunately those ideals died and withered a long time ago, at one time it was noble but now it's every man for himself and to hell with the consequences. It's a by product of the materialistic world we live in.

From the U.S. Declaration of Independence:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

@MilwaukeeMike
That is exactly what NSA would like us to think. If they would like to prove this, I am all ear. I certainly will not take them at their word or listen to them speculate at reasons to classify him a traitor. If they prove Snowden is selling documents, I will change my stance, and call him a traitor myself. I cannot call anyone a traitor, when all evidence is being held behind closed doors or worse yet non-existent.

You do realize the defense of 'that's what they want us to think' is used by every conspiracy theorist whenever they are presented with evidence against their theory. From chemtrails to the moon landing.

The guy stole 1.7 million docs. The people who know what was stolen say it was .01% information on domestic spying 99.99% information on the military and their operations. Then he runs to Russia, who has been on the other side of every interest of the US since WWII and he gives them all the info they've ever wanted to know about America's military. Right after that, Russia invades Ukraine. And we think Snowden was just standing up for his beliefs?

To think he was working for the Russians isn't a stretch, it's staring us right in the face.

You do realize the defense of 'that's what they want us to think' is used by every conspiracy theorist whenever they are presented with evidence against their theory. From chemtrails to the moon landing.

The guy stole 1.7 million docs. The people who know what was stolen say it was .01% information on domestic spying 99.99% information on the military and their operations. Then he runs to Russia, who has been on the other side of every interest of the US since WWII and he gives them all the info they've ever wanted to know about America's military. Right after that, Russia invades Ukraine. And we think Snowden was just standing up for his beliefs?

To think he was working for the Russians isn't a stretch, it's staring us right in the face.

Sorry MM, I believe Snowden is a Whistleblower and the 1.7 Million document number including the 99.99% Military information comes from sources that cannot be trusted. One of the reasons Snowden went to Russia and is still there, is that he fears for his life.

If you remember he had problems seeking asylum and was refused by many countries until Russia finally gave in.. Russia does not need, nor does the NSA collect military information, they have a spy system of their own. The fact that the NSA spies on ALL phone conversations has been suspected for a long time, but Snowden actually had confirmation and it was confirmed by Senate hearings..

What it did most of all, was to wake up some of the indolent, low information voters to the fact that Government is stealing their freedom out from under them.

One of the reasons Snowden went to Russia and is still there, is that he fears for his life.

That you typed this with a straight face shows how much of a Snowden sycophant you are. Russia is currently in the process of unraveling another country because, Novorossiya.

Ha! No, I'm just old enough and have seen enough from people all over the world to know that MOST people think they want to know the truth about everything going on around them but in reality they can't handle the truth. They can't manage to look at the bigger picture of things and get stuck on how things immediately impact them and suddenly the needs of the many gets thrown right out the window if there is any negative impact on one or few. I believe in government and I also think that the current swing of anti-big-government going on right now is typical mob mentality that you see with things like people hating Microsoft or Apple. Many think it's the in thing to do (cool?) hating on the big guy because he's the big guy and have no idea what they even really hate. It'll take a move closer to anarchy for people to realize we need government because a large percentage of people in the world are really just sheep. If enough people tell you that you should hate something then you'll hate it. I don't have the most positive outlook for man/woman in general so seeing people actually be good (not Snowden) is shining light in an otherwise dim world.

/PreparingForInsultsAndShortSightedRetorts

No need in that after reading yours!

How was that? Did I disappoint? Seriously you call us shortsighted after making a statement that we are held from the truth because you think "we as a people" can't handle the truth. Here you are supporting the idea that we are shortsighted and then asking for a shortsighted retort. Congrats for the irony!!

Ha! No, I'm just old enough and have seen enough from people all over the world to know that MOST people think they want to know the truth about everything going on around them but in reality they can't handle the truth. They can't manage to look at the bigger picture of things and get stuck on how things immediately impact them and suddenly the needs of the many gets thrown right out the window if there is any negative impact on one or few. I believe in government and I also think that the current swing of anti-big-government going on right now is typical mob mentality that you see with things like people hating Microsoft or Apple. Many think it's the in thing to do (cool?) hating on the big guy because he's the big guy and have no idea what they even really hate. It'll take a move closer to anarchy for people to realize we need government because a large percentage of people in the world are really just sheep. If enough people tell you that you should hate something then you'll hate it. I don't have the most positive outlook for man/woman in general so seeing people actually be good (not Snowden) is shining light in an otherwise dim world.

This is not the forum for Political discussions but, some of the responses here show how stupid our voters are. Get off your duff and find out what's really happening.

Not only that - I never said every response would be a shortsighted retort - but if you feel yours is one then that's on you. I also think that there are better ways to affect change in our government than giving our "secrets" out to everyone including those who hold us in the lowest regard and would rather see us crumble than succeed. Everyone has to understand that there is a momentum that has to be managed when you want change - you can't do something a certain way for a very long time and then instantly think you are going to do it the opposite way because a few people say it should be so.

Keeping secrets causes conflicts! Some people never learn this which is why there will never be peace. If you want to support generations of conflicts, stand behind our government and their pathetic secrets. They hold secrets because they want to under-mind, not live in harmony.

Back