Sony Playstation 2 "Multi-Tap" question

Zen

I'm apologize for being a bit under educated here in regards to how a Sony Playstation 2 Multi-Tap works, but I apparently need to ask some questions here! First off I'm a little baffled on how this all works!

First off the device appears to work fine when there is not a game present in the CD tray. Having two Sony PS2 Dual Shock Controllers connecting to the tap via ports "A' & "B" when the system is in operating system mode, everything is fine. Both controllers can move the selector up and down and highlight "Browser" & "Configuration", that works.

Now here's something odd, when I try and go put an authentic Sony PS2 8MB memory card in either of it's slots, like "A' or "B" or "C" & "D" on the tap, the card does not register, it's not seen by the console. Now if I do the same thing with my authentic Sony PS1 1MB memory card, the Tap see's it just fine, it registers in the systems "Browser". To get any of my 8MB PS2 memory cards to work, I have to pull the Tap out of the consoles controller and memory slot "A", move the Tap to controller and memory slot "B" on the console, to make room for the memory card in memory card slot "A", then the system see's it in slot "A" on the console, but can't see the thing if the card is inserted in any of the memory card slots on the Tap.

Next problem I'm having is securing truthful and valid information about if the Multi-Tap is supposed to be connected to the console at all times. Some web sites have told me "no, only should be hooked up for certain games that support 1-4 players." Some web sites have told me that "the Multi-Tap can be connected at all times, but it has to be connected to the console via controller and memory card port "A"." A scattered few web sites have said "the Tap can be connected at all times, but has to be connected to the console via controller and memory card port "B".", so which is it, I'm bloody confused?

Next, tonight while trying to play the PS2 game ATV Off Road Fury 3 with my Son, the Tap was giving us all kinds of heart burn! The controllers going through the Tap were allowing us through the console's operating system, but when the game booted up and told me to push "start", the start button wouldn't work. On both controllers the start button would not do a thing. This might be due to the fact that the game appears to have been designed for only 1-2 players, not 1-4 players, maybe the game couldn't see that Tap and wouldn't allow it to be used, because that game wasn't programmed to do so.

I know it is silly to ask, but does this Multi-Tap require any kind of a "driver" like a computer P.C. running Microsoft Windows would require? It just seems stupid for Sony to create and distribute something like a Multi-Tap, just so it can only be used with a hand full of PS2 games. My friend Craig and my own intuition were making me think this would be something that could be used at all times, and have everything go through the Tap and be recognized for what it is and what's connected to is, and know what to do with all of it in the end.

Also if this information helps things here, I will provide names and model numbers to everything that the Multi-Tap would come in contact with....

Sony Playstation 2 "Fat Boy".......Model # SCPH-30001 R

Sony Playstation 2 "Multi-Tap"......Model # SCPH-10090

Sony Playstation 2 "Dual Shock" Controllers.....Model # SCPH-10010

Sony Playstation 2 8MB Memory Card......Model # SCPH-10020

Sony Playstation 1 1MB Memory Card.....Model # SCPH-1020

Radica Gamester "Partial Mid-Wheel" For Racing Games......No Model #

That's all the items that the Tap would come in contact with.

Please help me out here if you can!

Thanks.... :eek:

I'm not trying to be a "smart butt" or "pushy" here, but 23 hours after this topic area had been created, and 71 views of it and so far "nothing"! So no one out there has ever used or owned a PS2 Multi-Tap system and knows how it works, or how it doesn't work?

Again I'm not trying to make anything more than this already is, all I am is just a bit baffled by the lack of information. :confused:

I had my multitap along time go so i'm no use for you here Zen :(

I do remember it being a pain to get working though...but sadly not how i fixed it.

Had a multitap (and still got it somewhere and the PS2) but never really used any larger capacity memory cards or recollect having any problems with them.

Well for now, I've settled for my PS2 multi-tap to reside inside the console's controller and memory port "B"! I have connected one of my PS2 dual shock controllers directly into the console's controller port "A". Also I've taken one of five 8MB memory card I have and gone for direct hook up and am going through the console's memory port "A". I have chosen to keep the PS1 1MB memory card hooked into the Tap, along with one PS2 dual shock controller and both my matching Gamester racing mid wheels. Also the I.F. receiver for my PS2 DVD remote control appears to work through the Tap.

Next time I get a "great idea" of buying a video game system, I think I will choose to buy a new PS3. That system doesn't use outdated technology like Multi-Tap's. It allows for USB splitting, special adapters that allow two devices on one USB console connection!

Oh well.......................live and learn!

Back