TechSpot

Sony recalls 1.6 million Bravia HDTVs that pose fire risk

By Matthew
Oct 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Sony has issued a voluntary recall for 1.6 million Bravia HDTVs following reports of a defect that poses a fire risk. The move was prompted after a TV caught fireā€¦

Read the whole story

2. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

Gosh, Sony, you need to shape up.

3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,333   +267

Welp, when it rains it pours, but at least Sony is being relatively classy about this.

4. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

5. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 823

Sure hope my Sony wireless headphones don't burst into flames :rolleyes:

6. lalaman

lalaman TS Member Posts: 25

Sony is known for its bad cooling system.
    Fans broke in my Sony laptop after 2 years and Sony 70 inch TV after 4 years...

7. Sony is an arrogant, greedy company that has been coasting on its reputation for years. Twenty years ago they put out good products. Now all they do is charge a high price for a third rate product.

8. Revolution 11

Revolution 11 TS Enthusiast Posts: 40

Well, most companies are greedy. That's not why Sony sucks. Sony can make good products, they just choose to take shortcuts. Which bite them right back in the a**.

9. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Booster Posts: 209   +30

I don't understand, I always thought Sony products were high priced because of the high standards and quality they put into the product.

10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Yeah, basically all my electronics used to be Sony, but these days their quality has gone down, while their prices have stayed the same. I've been buying "cheaper" brands, such as Samsung, and have been very happy with the quality.

11. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 991   +90

Originally that was true, unfortunately they've keep their high price point but their standards have gone down considerably.

12. These kind of unfortunate situations are nothing new to the tech/electronics world. Sony is no different from the other electronic giants that suffer similar and worst faith.

M$oft am looking at you and your ~cough~ X..cough Box.

13. Only difference is that Microsoft improved its Xbox to stop the issues and executed a massive program to get people's console's working.

Sony is more inclined to write out people's legal rights in EULA's.

14. Guest above: Did u even read the post? "....your TV will be repaired at no charge....."

15. Sony should recall their 46 " Bravia as I see dozens of them in every repair shop I go in to.

The problem is with the little tiny wires (threads) going directly in to the picture screen, they break and the only fix is to replace the TV Screen. the picture on screen begins to have rolling lines and then the right side begins to become distorted.

any of you experienced what I am talking about?

16. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

Sony's still one of the MOST innovative electronics companies i know of.
    I'm glad they're standing behind their products and fixing the issues.
    Plenty of other companies that don't like to admit there's a problem.
    ie: apple notebooks, microsoft xbox

17. I have a 46" bravia that intermitently crackles. Very annoying. Sony refuses to do anything about it. The sony service man told me to buy a samsung tv next time. He says they are much more reliable