Sony recalls 1.6 million Bravia HDTVs that pose fire risk

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Sony has issued a voluntary recall for 1.6 million Bravia HDTVs following reports of a defect that poses a fire risk. The move was prompted after a TV caught fire in Japan last month, though that was only one of 11 similar incidents reported in the country since 2008.

Sony believes only certain 40-inch Bravia models manufactured during 2007 and 2008 are affected, including the KDL-40V3000, KDL-40VL130, KDL-40W3000, KDL-40WL135, KDL-40XBR4, and KDL-40XBR5. You'll find the model on your warranty card or the back of your TV.

The issue stems from a faulty backlight component that can overheat and melt a hole in the cabinet ceiling or even ignite. Fortunately, there have been no injuries or major property damage but Sony is urging customers to unplug their TV and seek assistance if they notice anything unusual, such as a strange smell or noise.

Folks with one of those units are eligible for a "free evaluation" by one of Sony's designated service technicians. You can schedule the visit here or call 888-868-7389. If the tech finds an issue, your TV will be repaired at no charge. Although the issue has only been recorded in Japan, affected models have been sold worldwide.

A spokeswoman speaking with Bloomberg said the recall would barely dent Sony's earnings, but we imagine the company's brand image and overall consumer satisfaction is at an all-time low. Last year the company announced a similar repair service for its Bravia TV stands because weak screws caused some models to collapse.

Shortly thereafter, Sony recalled 535,000 Viao notebooks with an overheating issue. Just last month, KDDI recalled two million cell phones because of defective lithium ion batteries produced by Sony. Of course, this is in addition to the ongoing security mishaps and other privacy controversies surrounding its online services.

Permalink to story.

Sony is known for its bad cooling system.
Fans broke in my Sony laptop after 2 years and Sony 70 inch TV after 4 years...

Sony is an arrogant, greedy company that has been coasting on its reputation for years. Twenty years ago they put out good products. Now all they do is charge a high price for a third rate product.

Well, most companies are greedy. That's not why Sony sucks. Sony can make good products, they just choose to take shortcuts. Which bite them right back in the a**.

I don't understand, I always thought Sony products were high priced because of the high standards and quality they put into the product.

Guest said:
Sony is an arrogant, greedy company that has been coasting on its reputation for years. Twenty years ago they put out good products. Now all they do is charge a high price for a third rate product.

Yeah, basically all my electronics used to be Sony, but these days their quality has gone down, while their prices have stayed the same. I've been buying "cheaper" brands, such as Samsung, and have been very happy with the quality.

Rasta211 said:
I don't understand, I always thought Sony products were high priced because of the high standards and quality they put into the product.

Originally that was true, unfortunately they've keep their high price point but their standards have gone down considerably.

These kind of unfortunate situations are nothing new to the tech/electronics world. Sony is no different from the other electronic giants that suffer similar and worst faith.

M$oft am looking at you and your ~cough~ X..cough Box.

Only difference is that Microsoft improved its Xbox to stop the issues and executed a massive program to get people's console's working.

Sony is more inclined to write out people's legal rights in EULA's.

Guest above: Did u even read the post? "....your TV will be repaired at no charge....."

Sony should recall their 46 " Bravia as I see dozens of them in every repair shop I go in to.

The problem is with the little tiny wires (threads) going directly in to the picture screen, they break and the only fix is to replace the TV Screen. the picture on screen begins to have rolling lines and then the right side begins to become distorted.

any of you experienced what I am talking about?

Sony's still one of the MOST innovative electronics companies i know of.
I'm glad they're standing behind their products and fixing the issues.
Plenty of other companies that don't like to admit there's a problem.
ie: apple notebooks, microsoft xbox

I have a 46" bravia that intermitently crackles. Very annoying. Sony refuses to do anything about it. The sony service man told me to buy a samsung tv next time. He says they are much more reliable

Back