TechSpot

Sony slashes PS Vita prices in Japan, Final Fantasy X HD previewed

By Shawn Knight
Feb 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sony today announced plans to slash the price of their handheld PlayStation Vita by as much as 33 percent in Japan. The move comes as Sony is feeling increased competition from free or cheap games sold on smartphones and tablets.

Read more

2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 638   +127

If that's a genuine representation of the HD reboot of the lesser popular Final Fantasy, then colour me unimpressed. And if that's the big hook to get more people buying PS Vitas, whoever was in charge of that decision should be taken outside into the street and shot.

3. If they are worried about vita sales they should had released the remake 5 months ago.

4. Only graphics using Final Fantasy 13's engine would make me consider buying a PS3 release for this game. Greatly dissappointed at the graphics shown in the preview. That's not what I've been waiting for TWO whole years~! :confused: (n)

5. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

It seems a port rather than a remake... I though they don't like remakes that much hence no updated FF7.

6. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

"lesser popular"? Are you being serious? I guess being "only" the number 3 top seller from Square-Enix of all time (Number 7 top seller of all PS2 games) makes it not nearly as popular...
    Source: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games

PS3 release? This article clearly says (multiple times) this is for the Vita. It also goes on to say it is unclear whether the remake is going to consoles.

7. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 604   +106

If this deal comes to the states, which would be crazy if it didn't, I would recommend everyone to go pick up a Vita.

Have been loving mine since launch, and the more people that jump on board will just give Sony more reason to make your decision
    worth while.

8. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 638   +127

It's still a cack game, no matter how much you protest. If given the choice, most people would much prefer a reboot of FF 7, 8 or 9.

9. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

Ha, you're right about the 7 and 8. I said FFX was the number 3 top seller, well you just found what number 2 and 1 were.

10. Tiberius Jonez

Tiberius Jonez TS Rookie

Earthshaking prediction that everyone will laugh at now, but not in 5 years.

Sony's PS4 will be their final console hardware release.

The reasons for this are easily researched and unmistakable. Some obvious reasons are the company as a whole has been bleeding 100's of millions of dollars per year for over five straight years. Microsoft has displaced Sony as the Console king in only two generations - something almost NOone thought possible. Sony STILL has not gotten serious about online gaming in a way that seriously threatens Microsoft's dominance in this area. And finally, there is a very real possibility that NO company will be releasing new hardware after this generation due to the fact that by that time streaming technology will finally be refined enough to truly support always-online platforms where, literally, the only new hardware you will need (and maybe not even this) is a system specific controller.

Now - feel free to laugh now, but remember later!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.