TechSpot

Sony: Some PSN user data was unencrypted

By Matthew
Apr 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. After Sony announced that its servers were hacked, users bombarded the company with concerns about the safety of their personal information. In its announcement earlier this week, Sony admitted that the attacker(s) gained access to customers' names, addresses, email addresses, birth dates, and PSN login credentials.

Read the whole story

2. lol wow!!!!!!!!!!..almost 9 days yo wtf...

3. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Enthusiast Posts: 329   +18

Maybe they can do something useful and add party chat to this update.

4. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

my confidence in Sony has really taken a dive in the last week, and i can't even do anything for my account because the service is still down.

5. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 325   +20

I do not encourge this kind of hacking but I saw this coming with how harsh Sony went with the Geo lawsuit.

6. Well i already cancel my internet service and my bank account sony why u let thz happen im sad dissapointed im just 1 person ....u just like state farm 40 million gamers 40 million reasons to be mad at u ....jerseyshorelove

7. Cancel any credit card associated with SONY now.

8. Denooon

Denooon TS Rookie

I do not encourge this kind of hacking but I saw this coming with how harsh Sony went with the Geo lawsuit.

100% agree.

9. ElShotte

ElShotte TS Enthusiast Posts: 166

Sony's fighting a loosing battle. The only thing they can do right now is come up with PS4...

10. I think it was microsoft that did it.!!!

11. I lol'd at the comments

12. i just wana play COD f**k you hackers

13. Unencrypted login credentials?! First thing I learned in computer science is to never store passwords in plaintext; only their hashes should ever be stored.

I hope sony goes bankrupt soon; they've been losing money year over year

14. Instead of saying "pwn'd" we'll now say "PSN'd"

15. F$ck Y@u Sony...Now I gotta change all my passwords...

16. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 365   +49

Just when I thought nothing was more *****ic then Sony, I came here and read some of these comments and I'm not so sure anymore.

17. Give Sony a break they made a mistake and there doing there best to fix it. if they can't fix them then u can get on them.

18. as i look at these comments i can understand the frustrations of some of these users...then again i've never had to pay a monthli service charge to play on the network...yall r knocking and they provide u with a free service...it is not a good thing this has happened but remember its gamers like u and me who hacked them their security could have been godly still someone would've found a way this time its ohhh k to hate the player and not the game...

19. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

More *****ic "THEN" Sony?

Right, I assume you're including you're own comment in that too...

20. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

They made a mistake?

A mistake is walking into a bear's cave while under the influence.

Walking into the bear's cave, clubbing the cubs, and stealing all the honey isn't a mistake.

Sony was asking for it and the got more than they bargained for.

21. zillion

zillion TS Rookie Posts: 51

I dont see this as the end of the world, either for sony nor any other person on the PSN.
    It´s true that u might expect alittle more from a multibillion corporation, but then again u only need security as long as there are criminals to rob u. I do lock my door when i leave my home, but thats all i do to prevent....then again i live in a country with very low criminal activity and im a **** poor dude :p

The PSN will be back and i think u can asume it might be the most secure network for a while, so im not going to stop playing my ps3 now and then, since i now know it has all been redone and build from scratch with the knowledge if today.

ps.to who or whom that did this, the cause do not justifie the actions, so many inicent ppl has been affected by this, and i still cant belive other ppl cant see how disguisting this kind of crime is. The perfect vengance only hit the target.

22. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

What a blunder sony has committed.Either they were ignorant about user security or were being purely foolish(I think both).I never imagined that such a reputable company would deal with such important issues in such a careless way.
    "The company said it's working on strengthening its network infrastructure and enhancing PSN security across the board. Additionally, it's already in the process of moving its data center to a new, more secure location." Too Late....

23. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Enthusiast Posts: 195   +24

I was eating a cookie when I read this and I almost choked! lol! This is a great idea.

24. @lawfer: Why insult someone only to show that you are a hypocrite?

"Right, I assume you're including you're own comment in that too... " should be "Right, I presume you are including your own comment in that too."

"Assume" means "to accept without proof." "Presume" means "to accept before proof is established."

If your intent was to write with proper grammar you should avoid using contractions, rather than "you're" you should use "you are". You also should avoid using "you're" in replacement of "your". ;p

25. Well as long as Sony encrypted the credit card details it's OK. They have a very good track record of implementing encryption standards so I don't think anyone has anything to worry about.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.