TechSpot

Sony suffers another security breach, locks down accounts

By Jos
Oct 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Sony locked down 93,000 user accounts on its online gaming and entertainment networks yesterday after it detected a large number of unauthorized attempts to gain access to them. The intruders…

Read the whole story

2. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 195

Nice going Sony...
    You can stop teaching us how NOT to handle server security now.

3. Just another reminder that our current username/password combo is not strong enough. When we start using certificates or other factor authentication?

4. hahahahhahahahahhaha, down with Sony.

5. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Username-Password is already very secure, the problem is the bad use from the users and the mediocre companies.
    We are talking abut SONY, a company that doesn't knows what encrypting is, and never to say they will develop one to keep away from the standard "security".

6. UnknownSky

UnknownSky TS Rookie Posts: 41

Sooooooo,

I can't stop laughing at the bashers of Sony. They realized a security breach and are fixing it. These are only 93,000 accounts which I'm sure had "catsdogs" or "123456" as their password since some persons are that ignorant. One-tenth of a percent. That sounds statistically correct.
    Think logically.
    I still support Sony.

7. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 195

I was not bashing Sony (to much).
    It's just funny how they keep getting hit by these attacks.

8. UnknownSky

UnknownSky TS Rookie Posts: 41

Honestly,

If they clean up their messes then everything is fine with me. A good thing to do is never rely solely on a companies security and don't put full faith into anything because ANYTHING can happen. Ya know?

9. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

"Hm...all these accounts getting hacked. Let's see what my password is...'password'...hmm...I should probably change it....'password1'...yeah, that's the ticket, suck it hackers!"

10. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

are you regretting your ways yet, sony?

11. These criminals are attacking almost all online companies including Government Homeland/Security. All are at risk of online theft / breaches. The good thing is SONY detected the malicious breach and nip it in the bud early. Thanks to their improved online security, they prevented what could have been another disaster.

Kudos to them

12. negroplasty, just like every other large company out there, Sony will not be regretting their ways.

and UnknownSky, do you realize how many times someone has to "guess" the combination of User Name and Password to get it correct? Now multiply that number by 93,000.

care to elaborate if i didn't understand you correctly?

13. So many imbeciles rejoicing in an insignificant number for a company the magnitude of Sony. At least they mention it so account holders are aware. The competition wouldn't have. Right now many of you with accounts in other companies are possibly hacked and not know it, because you're not told.

14. @Guest: It is the law, they have no choice but to "mention it". Otherwise Sony could be sued for not "mention(ing) it".

15. If you enforce a limit on number of attempts in a time period, e.g. 3 in 10 minutes, a 6 character minimum would take over 324,202 years to brute force all combinations of alpha numerical combinations.

So it's not all that difficult to put some sort of meaningful password protection on an account with some simple rules.

16. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 911   +22

Why are we always reinventing the wheel? 35 years ago on the IBM mainframe some former students where I went to school (University of Illinois at Chicago) created ACF2, a security program that did just what is stated here; encrypted passwords and limited numbers of password attempts. They later formed a company in "silicon prairie". I'd be happy to do your job for you.

17. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

That's an interesting point. But I doubt the hackers in this article cracked individual accounts. They probably found a way around the normal means and entered by exploiting a security weakness. They likely opened a database, then downloaded a few names. So it wouldn't matter what you set your login/password to when they have back door access to that information.

18. Ok so why is it that those people who use similar passwords on xbox live never have this problem?

When was the last time LIVE got hacked? Can you please remind me?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.