Sony to launch redesigned PlayStation 3 on September 25

Leeky

Sony plans to introduce a third revision of its PlayStation 3 games console, originally released in 2006. The new version will land on US store shelves this September 25 ahead of the Christmas shopping season.

The company is keeping the same curved design of the previous two versions, though the footprint is now half the size of the original PlayStation 3. The newest model is also about 25% lighter and less bulky than the “slim” model introduced in 2009. There's still a Blu-ray drive for playing high-definition movies and games, of course, though Sony is now using a sliding disc cover in order to save space.

sony playstation

Two versions in either charcoal black or classic white will be offered in the US. The first ships with a 250GB hard drive and the second provides 500GB of storage. They will be priced at $269 and $299, respectively, but those wanting the larger storage version will have to wait until October 30.

Europe will get a separate version with 12GB of flash-based storage priced at €229, which will land on October 12, as well as the 500GB PlayStation 3 available from September 28 bundled with FIFA 2013 and priced at €299. It's unclear if the cheaper, 12GB model will eventually make it to the US as well.

“A smaller form factor is not only more attractive to many consumers, it will cost less to manufacture, ship and stock,” Piers Harding-Rolls, head of games at IHS Screen Digest said. “That is likely to open the door to better margins and will allow Sony a chance to be more aggressive on pricing running into 2013.”

sony playstation

A 250GB USB external hard drive will be available separately to increase the media storage of the entry-level PlayStation 3. Other bundles are expected in the lead up to Christmas, featuring titles such as Assassin’s Creed 3, and Sony’s Wonderbook augmented reality reading peripheral.

Competition will be fierce however, especially with Nintendo’s brand new Wii U arriving on November 18 and sales of Microsoft’s Xbox 360 games console remaining very strong.

In a separate announcement, Sony confirmed that its PlayStation Mobile Store will launch on October 3, offering consumers PlayStation certified games on compatible Android handsets and tablets. Initially 30 games will be offered, with more expected to follow in the near future.

Permalink to story.

For the 'most powerful console', I bet it still has the worst web browser on the planet and won't play any Sony Pictures media files thanks to Cinavia. Playstation killed itself, to me.

Can the hard drive be user replaced still? I found this to be really handy, I mean, my friend got Grand Turismo 5 and the loading times were absolutely crap, he had the orginal 120GB drive installed, I then convinced him to change it to a Western Digital Black 320GB drive and it improved load times but literally a tenth of the time, very impressed.

I just hope they haven't made it all enclosed.

For the 'most powerful console', I bet it still has the worst web browser on the planet and won't play any Sony Pictures media files thanks to Cinavia. Playstation killed itself, to me.

I've not actually owned a playstation console since the ps2 slimline silver edition, I agree, the playstation has killed itself however, they include a blu-ray drive, this to me is the only reason I'm looking into getting one, since blu-ray players (well, half decent ones) are still quite expensive, I might as well get a ps3 which does a little more than a stand alone blu-ray player does :)

I have the fat PS3 with the 40gb HDD I mostly use it has a media server but the buffering sometimes drive me nuts. Plus the web browser is really crap when it goes to console heaven im getting a pc connected has a media server

So the US 500gb version works out at: $299 (~£184)
And the European 500gb works out at: 229 Euros (~£240)

That's quite a shocker of a price difference, bundled FIFA or not.

Softmod your ps3. Problem solved :eek:

There are a few pkgs that disable cinavia. Showtime isn't a terrible media player either for ps3

Sony really doesn't get it. They had the chance to undercut both Microsoft & Nintendo, and they blew it. $169 &$199 is what it should be. Forget storage, let the consumer upgrade on their own if necessary. Price is major at the end of a console's life. What are they thinking? And the new design couldn't be any uglier. It's no wonder the big Sony Corp is going under. They're clueless on what drives the consumer to buy. /rant

I'll be looking for the prior design to use as my netflix box. Hate the new look of the ps3. Ugh.

Softmod your ps3. Problem solved :eek:

There are a few pkgs that disable cinavia. Showtime isn't a terrible media player either for ps3

Would love to know how this is possible with the new update. Please message me or send shoot me an email, [email deleted]. I've got a lot of blurays I backed up, although all of them play normally, I know they won't play correctly once I activate surround sound on a few with cinavia. Thanks man.

Everytime Sony launch the slimmer version of PS, it always has reduced lifetime usability.. sigh..

Since I don't really watch blu-ray movies with my PS3, it doesn't really bother me about cinavia and such. I use it only for gaming and with that, it's still awesome. Also about the price being cheaper to undercut the XBox and Wii, perhaps they haven't really done so yet since we haven't even really heard about their next console. Let see how it plays out because if you remember, by the time PS3 was released, the PS2 price was cut down a lot.

Anyone hating on the PS3 comes across as a whiner.
The console is quiet, reliable, has free internet, runs blu rays, supports 2.5" hard drives you can upgrade, and has sick titles like God of War 3.

VAT dude. If you take that into account the price difference is only £20. The Americans have different sales tax rates in different states so all the prices are quoted tax free. It's the reason why at first glance electronics always seem cheaper in the US.

Anyone hating on the PS3 comes across as a whiner.
The console is quiet, reliable, has free internet, runs blu rays, supports 2.5" hard drives you can upgrade, and has sick titles like God of War 3.

Let's see:

Quiet: So is a normal PC.
Reliable: Compared to what, a 360? If so, then yes, but PC still has the advantage with individual replaceable parts.
Free Internet: PS3 does not have free internet, it has a free social network and matchmaking. Then again, so does the PC.
Blu Rays: PCs can do that too for $45 too if your computer happens to no come with one standard.
HDDs: PCs have more options for HDDs than any console ever made combined.
Exclusivity: Exclusivity is not a plus nor does it guarantee the quality of a title. With that said, PC has the largest collection of game titles of any console ever made combined.

Aye, as Slh28 said, VAT needs to be added.

However, these are the Europe wide prices. Sony hasn't officially announced UK pricing yet, but its likely the new 500GB model will replace the current largest version around the same price, and we'll see the price drop for the entry version thanks to the 12GB flash storage.

So it could work out a bit cheaper yet, once we know prices in the Queen's notes.

Would love to know how this is possible with the new update. Please message me or send shoot me an email, [email deleted]. I've got a lot of blurays I backed up, although all of them play normally, I know they won't play correctly once I activate surround sound on a few with cinavia. Thanks man.
Well depending on your ps3 model, it can be downgraded to a decent firmware and be softmodded. There are also some materials you can buy that lets you dual boot OFW and CFW in a manner of speaking. You can either buy the things you need to downgrade the ps3 or send it to someone that offers downgrading services. The downside is that you would likely have to pay to downgrade it unless you know someone who would do it for free. I only know of one reliable person that downgrades in the US and I haven't checked on any that live in the other countries if you live there instead

Interested in a new thinner PS3? No. Interested in a new PS altogether? Yes.

With that said, PC has the largest collection of game titles of any console ever made combined.
Your comments about a PC being better come across whiny, of course PC's outclass a console.A console is nothing more then a limited, controlled outdated PC.
Comparing a PC to any console makes them look bad, and is a simple minded way of looking at it. I am a true PC gamer, been here since I installed my first GPU a Voodoo Banshee and PC's have always made consoles look silly. This isn't new information unless your a noobie.
The PS3 is a good system.

Aye, as Slh28 said, VAT needs to be added.

However, these are the Europe wide prices. Sony hasn't officially announced UK pricing yet, but its likely the new 500GB model will replace the current largest version around the same price, and we'll see the price drop for the entry version thanks to the 12GB flash storage.

So it could work out a bit cheaper yet, once we know prices in the Queen's notes.

I never realized the US carried no overall VAT; I assumed that would have been in place considering the revenue it brings in and the current state of the books over there. Just shows how much we're being stiffed over here really.

Either way though, It's still a lot of money for a new PS in my opinion.

Well depending on your ps3 model, it can be downgraded to a decent firmware and be softmodded. There are also some materials you can buy that lets you dual boot OFW and CFW in a manner of speaking. You can either buy the things you need to downgrade the ps3 or send it to someone that offers downgrading services. The downside is that you would likely have to pay to downgrade it unless you know someone who would do it for free. I only know of one reliable person that downgrades in the US and I haven't checked on any that live in the other countries if you live there instead

Yeah, I'm in the U.S. Would love to know this info. Links, numbers or whatever. Thanks. (email address deleted for your safety)

A console is nothing more then a limited, controlled outdated PC.

Right, and for around the same price, you get a PC that does everything the PS3 can do, and more. So when you really think about it, a console is nothing more than a waste of money for those who think operating a computer is hard.

But the consoles have console exclusive games >_>

People get them for their kids. People get htem to enjoy them, or use them for engineering stuff or somethingr >_>

Nintendo64, nes, atari, snes, ps1, hardly even compare to pc.

But the consoles have console exclusive games >_>

People get them for their kids. People get htem to enjoy them, or use them for engineering stuff or somethingr >_>

Nintendo64, nes, atari, snes, ps1, hardly even compare to pc.

Let's dissect your argument.

1. I already explained exclusivity doesn't equal quality, and PC has the largest amount of exclusive games to begin with.

2. My father got me a computer when I was a kid, My first games were Age of Empires 1/2 demo and Carmageddon pirated CD my friend's brother gave me. People like underestimating their kids.

3. Except all of those can now be emulated on a mid-range PC. Unless you're speaking of computers when those consoles came out, then that's an entirely different story not being currently discussed.

What sony should do is upgrade the wireless adapter to support the latest wireless N technology, or release a USB wireless N adapter compattible with all versions (like my "old" 80GB model). I use wireless, and downloads from PSN take forever to complete... I was hoping to see something about upgraded wireless networking capabilities.

Back