TechSpot

Sony to lay off 2,000 workers, close a digital imaging factory

By Matthew
Oct 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Sony has announced that it will lay off about 2,000 employees by the end of 2012, including a 20% staff reduction at the company's Tokyo headquarters and 20% from its Home Entertainment and Sound Business Group. The decision is part...

Read more
  2. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 371   +69

I'm not surprised. Sony used to have it all and then they started getting greedy.
  3. Kashim

Kashim TS Rookie

No, Sony was always greedy, the same as all other high profile tech companies. But Sony used to have a respected brand name and could get away with their greed back then. Then they started thinking they could DICTATE what customers wanted instead of LISTENING to what we wanted. That, coupled with a series of very embarrassing blunders (exploding batteries, DRM rootkit fiasco, security breaches, etc.) tarnished their name and started a downward spiral from which Sony may never recover.
  4. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

I do like my Sony phone though...
  5. inventix1136

inventix1136 TS Rookie Posts: 85   +14

Man, there is so much similarity between Sony and Apple it's not even funny with Apple being currently on top.

Respected brand name: check
    Greed: Check
    Dictating what customer wanted: Check
    Tarnishing name: Apple - lawsuits, Sony -- well, it IS Sony... Check.

Except that Sony actually had multiple products that were bringing in the $$$, where with Apple, 70%+ of the revenue is from a SINGLE product in finicky consumer market.
  6. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 970   +84

You're right inventix1136. There was a time when I thought that all Sony products would be top notch and that comparing brands was a fruitless idea. Sony used to have everything I wanted. Kind of like Apple is now.

I get why Apple left IBM CPU's, but now Apple's starting to not play nice with others, and showing their superiority complex. Having one size and one model phone is hard to believe in this day and age. And not supporting standard connectors such as USB Mini or SD Card Slots? Come on!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.