TechSpot

Sony to shut down 'Second Life' alternative PlayStation Home early next year

By Shawn Knight
Sep 29, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Any hope that PlayStation Home, Sony's virtual 3D social gaming platform, would one day arrive on the PlayStation Vita or PlayStation 4 was recently dashed as the company announced the service will be coming to an end next year.

Read more

2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,563   +2,372

A shifting landscape isn't why they are shutting this down. What did in Playstation Home from the beginning was Sony's amazingly poor development of the project. The lack of functionality, content, and polish that defined the Home experience drove anyone who spent five minutes with it right to the data management in the XMB to ensure the software didn't take up valuable hard drive space. For Home to work, Sony needed people to spend money in it, but they never supplied a product worth purchasing.

Adhmuz likes this.
  3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,653   +523

Well Sony tried to do something with PS Home, what exactly that was, I haven't the slightest of ideas... It was honestly the biggest waste of time available for your PS3. First issue was load times, always had a loading screen going from anywhere to, well anywhere, at least that was the way I remembered it. There was little to nothing interesting to do in this virtual world, oh boy bowling... And scavenger hunts, two activities that are barely enjoyable in real life, what ever gave anyone the idea these would translate to fun virtual games has me at a loss. Lack of content early on, lack of free content, the idea of buying a virtual shirt for real money is just plain stupid. Now if you did buy into this crap, well you and those other 4 people still using PS Home will just have to go and live your actual live, tough break, I know. It should be of no surprise Sony wants to ditch this, the whole "my virtual life" experience is fun, for about 15 minutes, then it's boring and makes The Sims look interesting.

4. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

I'm surprised PS Home lasted this long. The controls were sluggish, the content boring, and accessing PS Home was more of a headache than an enjoyment. Good riddance to it.

5. slamscaper

slamscaper TS Booster Posts: 161   +26

The only thing I can remember doing in this "virtual world" was walking around and exploiting bugs to get to areas that normally were off limits. You could walk on air in a few places, lol.

Other than that I don't remember much more about it, because Playstation home was quite forgettable.