Sony unveils two Android-based tablets, the S1 and S2

By Jos
Apr 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Sony has finally revealed its tablet plans with the announcement of two upcoming Android devices, code-named S1 and S2. Both have a unique form factor: The media-oriented S1 is a slate-style tablet with a 9.4-inch touchscreen that is thick on one end and tapers towards the other -- to make it easier to hold for long periods of time -- while the S2 is a folding clamshell device with dual 5.5-inch displays designed for mobile communications as well as entertainment.

Read the whole story
  2. Become No. 2 tablet manufacturer? If they repeat the Xperia story (i.e. selling Android 1.6 phones after Nexus One had become an old phone) they won't even exist in the map!
  3. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,046   +37

uhhhmm, no thanks... never liked sony's laptops
  4. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 590   +45

Wow, they had better get crackin' if they plan on being #2 in 7 months...

Yeah, it's not happening.
  5. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Ironically, with all of the non-iPad contenders being lumped into one category, it may not be hard for Sony to be #2 - there is so much dilution with multiple manufacturers and product variation, it's like a slow motion riot in the trenches.

If Sony can capitalize on their brand identity, can make a decent tablet at a good price point, and flood the market very quickly, they may have a shot of reaching their silver medal goal.
  6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

No thanks Sony. You've been screwing your customers for way too long now. There's no chance in Hell I'll purchase anymore electronics from you.

Remember that when you buy from Sony, you're really just renting, according to their TOS.
  7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I like how there will be a 3/4 " bezel in the middle of my movie.
  8. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 802   +8

Incorrect, sir. If you watched the video, you would have noticed that the top screen plays the video while the bottom screen has the controls. But even still, I don't see the second one (the dual screen one) selling very well...if it sells at all, lol. That's just a terrible design.
  9. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Well, in my mind I rooted it and installed a program that would allow me to show a movie on both screens, so nyah.
  10. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,046   +37

I lol'd
  11. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 802   +8

So, in other words, you set yourself up for failure? Nice going :p

12. Where's the camera?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.