Sony unveils two Android-based tablets, the S1 and S2

Jos

Staff

Sony has finally revealed its tablet plans with the announcement of two upcoming Android devices, code-named S1 and S2. Both have a unique form factor: The media-oriented S1 is a slate-style tablet with a 9.4-inch touchscreen that is thick on one end and tapers towards the other -- to make it easier to hold for long periods of time -- while the S2 is a folding clamshell device with dual 5.5-inch displays designed for mobile communications as well as entertainment.

The two devices will be marketed under the "Sony Tablet" brand and will play nicely with Sony's premium services, including the PlayStation Network for gaming and the Qriocity media suite. In terms of hardware, both are powered by a Tegra 2 processor, offer wireless connectivity through Wi-Fi, 3G or 4G, and include an IR port for AV controls with Sony's line of Bravia televisions as well as other devices supporting the Digital Living Network Alliance standards.

As you'd expect, they'll run the tablet-specific Android 3.0 Honeycomb operating system and allow the use of PlayStation games -- with the S2 possibly using the bottom screen for gaming controls somewhat like the Nintendo DS.

The devices are slated for a global release in the fall of this year. Sony has said it aims to establish itself as the No. 2 tablet maker after Apple by 2012. It will face strong competition from the likes of Samsung, Motorola, Lenovo, Acer, Asus and numerous others, and it remains to be seen if the Japanese giant can be competitive on the pricing front.

Permalink to story.

Become No. 2 tablet manufacturer? If they repeat the Xperia story (i.e. selling Android 1.6 phones after Nexus One had become an old phone) they won't even exist in the map!

Wow, they had better get crackin' if they plan on being #2 in 7 months...

Yeah, it's not happening.

Ironically, with all of the non-iPad contenders being lumped into one category, it may not be hard for Sony to be #2 - there is so much dilution with multiple manufacturers and product variation, it's like a slow motion riot in the trenches.

If Sony can capitalize on their brand identity, can make a decent tablet at a good price point, and flood the market very quickly, they may have a shot of reaching their silver medal goal.

No thanks Sony. You've been screwing your customers for way too long now. There's no chance in Hell I'll purchase anymore electronics from you.

Remember that when you buy from Sony, you're really just renting, according to their TOS.

gwailo247 said:
I like how there will be a 3/4 " bezel in the middle of my movie.

Incorrect, sir. If you watched the video, you would have noticed that the top screen plays the video while the bottom screen has the controls. But even still, I don't see the second one (the dual screen one) selling very well...if it sells at all, lol. That's just a terrible design.

matrix86 said:
gwailo247 said:

Incorrect, sir. If you watched the video, you would have noticed that the top screen plays the video while the bottom screen has the controls. But even still, I don't see the second one (the dual screen one) selling very well...if it sells at all, lol. That's just a terrible design.

Well, in my mind I rooted it and installed a program that would allow me to show a movie on both screens, so nyah.

gwailo247 said:
matrix86 said:
gwailo247 said:

Well, in my mind I rooted it and installed a program that would allow me to show a movie on both screens, so nyah.

I lol'd

gwailo247 said:

So, in other words, you set yourself up for failure? Nice going :p

Back