Sony unveils Vaio W netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Sony has introduced a new netbook, the Vaio W, and unlike their Vaio P, they actually intend on calling it such. While the W’s looks are somewhat mediocre, it’s what’s on the inside that counts. It features a 10.1” (1366 x 768) LED-backlit display, a 1.66GHz Intel N80 Atom CPU, 1GB of RAM, a 160GB HDD, Bluetooth, 802.11b/g/n, Ethernet, a webcam, VGA-out, two USB ports, and MemoryStick/SD card readers.

According to Engadget, the Sony representatives they spoke with called their netbook an “in-home” unit for the company, so 3G and GPS-packing models are unlikely. Sony’s netbook is expected to ship with Windows XP and a 3-cell battery (optional 6-cell upgrade), and will include software to stream content across DLNA-enabled devices. The Vaio W will be available in the US among other places mid-August, and its starting price is said to be around $500 - a bit steep if you ask me.

Permalink to story.

That looks sweet! if the price is right, i might get one for my mum! then she'll stop using my laptop for facebook.

That is literally a eeePC's hardware exception being the hard drive. for 200 frickin dollars more?

I thought Apple had a hard time explaining prices to people...

I think there are reasons to now doubt the potential of the netbook market, http://bit.ly/1JuOlC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back