TechSpot

Sony unveils Xperia Tablet Z, the thinnest in the market

By Jos
Jan 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sony has taken the wraps off its latest tablet flagship, the Xperia Tablet Z. The 10-inch device sports an all-new design that's just 6.9mm thick, making it the thinnest of its class -- by comparison, the previous record holder, Apple's...

Read more

2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,439   +559

"Sony says the Xperia Tablet Z is waterproof and dustproof, but the company didn't specify to what degree."

If they need to specify a degree, it's water and dust resistent. A great feature for electronic devices, but a far cry from "proof."

Anyhow... Sounds like a decent competitor to the iPad. I'd like to see more of the same from other competitors and see the tablet market get a little more competitive.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

They specify a degree of waterproof so people know what it's capable of. There are ratings, like IP5 or IP7. The Xperia Z phone they demo'd at CES was IP7 which means you can submerge it for 30 minutes at up to one meter. If something is IP5 you can't submerge it, but I think you can rinse it off or spray it with a hose.

They have to put a rating on there because if they say 'waterproof' but don't elaborate, then some genius will think he can take it scuba diving and get upset when he couldn't check in on FB from 50m down.

I wouldn't think they're trying to keep it a secret, it just sounds like there's very little known about this tablet so far. For example, they list a battery size, but not an expected life.

4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,439   +559

MilwaukeeMike Thanks for the clarification. Not being familiar with electronic waterproofing standards I was reading that feature as a marketing gimmick.

5. DKRON

DKRON TS Enthusiast Posts: 561   +11

Looks great untill they bring out the price and its $1500 like everything else they make

6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Yeah, if this thing was <$600 that would be great for everyone, because this set of features is quite tasty for a 10inch tab.

7. havok585

havok585 TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +19

I bet this will under the level of price practiced by apple's ipads overpriced tablets.

8. havok585

havok585 TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +19

9. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

If you compare iPad to other high-end Androids, the iPad is cheaper. It also sucks more for power users, but the general public just sees the price difference.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.