Sony USB Flash drive not detected after NTFS formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using SONY Micro Vault 8GB USB Flash drive and it was all well till I formatted it as NTFS. It was already existing with FAT32 and I use WinXP Pro @ office and XP Home @ home. When I insert the drive, I get a popup in the system tray saying 'new hardware detected'. But My computer does not show this drive.

Device manager shows normal for sometime and then after a minute it turns yellow. By this time the system tray baloon says, you have a problem with hardware installation.

I have another flash drive which work perfectly in both the systems.

All started with the format to NTFS. Is there any solutions to reformati it back to FAT32. Can somebody help?

I think by "format" you mean "convert" to NTFS

You cannot go back to Fat32, once converted to NTFS

As for your USB, you could go to Device Manager: (Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc) remove any yellow querried device, and possibly remove all your USB drivers (warning if you remove all your USB devices in Device Manager, any USB mouse or Keyboard will stop working (until restart)

Then reload all your device drivers from your manufactures support website (ie any updated drivers)

You may also need to install the software (if any) that came with your Flash Drive. Just check the Sony webpage for this. (looking up your flash drive)

You cannot go back to Fat32, once converted to NTFS
sure you can -- XP doesn't make it fun nor easy.

First Xp will only format 32GB of FAT32; some have found it difficult to do even that.

The process is
  1. use the Device Mgr
  2. find the proper device (better get it right too!)
  3. delete the partition
  4. create a new on
  5. format it in FAT32

the command line version has better options
FORMAT volume [/FS:file-system] [/V:label] [/Q] [/A:size] [/C] [/X]
/FS:filesystem Specifies the type of the file system (FAT, FAT32, or NTFS)​

It's better to use the command line to do it.. FAT32 seems to work better on these USB and SD media chips devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back