Sony Vaio 2005 Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Sony Viao 2005, model VGC-RB38. Recently, I have been experiencing a series of freezes in which I could not hold the power button down to turn it off. Over the past 2 weeks I've been experiencing freezes but no explanation for them. My computer is in great condition 88% space, 3 years old and clean of any viruses.

In each those cases, I have been forced to plug it out my computer because it would not respond to any CTRL+ALT+DEL or holding the power button down. Before, the computer was able to start back up again, but I received NO prompt or warning that my computer has been incorrectly shut down which is strange.

I immediately ran some checks on the system, checking the device manager to see if all hardware was working properly and they were. Then I checked to see if my harddrive was damaged. Last night, after holding it down for well over 5 minutes I was forced to pull the power plug on it.

However, after doing so my computer has refused to start up. I can hear the fan spinning, the lights blink at the front and it makes a sound that signals that it has been turned on but less than 3 seconds later and powers back down again. I don't smell anything strange that may hint at anything being fried.

Is there anything I can do?

More than likely your PSU is defective. Borrow or buy a new PSU to test it out in your system.

If that doesn't solve the issue, you might have an issue with components (likely your CPU) overheating. Be sure that the CPU's heatsink fan spins (even if the PC is only on for a few seconds). If it does spin, remove your CPU's heatsink, clean the old thermal compound off the heatsink as well as the CPU heatspreader and apply some fresh compound (you will likely have to buy some, no worries though it's only a few dollars :)). Be sure the heatsink is seated snugly against your CPU.

Post back with your results :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back