TechSpot

Sony Vaio boot up problem

By striderx240
Jun 12, 2008
  1. I'm running a sony vaio model pcg-384l on windows vista premium and whenever i boot up the computer, it says window error recovery and give me options to run safe mode etc. When i select "run windows normally" it it just stays stuck at the windowns loading bar. When i select "run safe mode" it starts to load files, but then just stays stuck while loading the files. Does anyone know whats wrong with my laptop? Thanks for reading my post.

2. xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx TS Rookie Posts: 1,214

it sounds like it can be a hardware problem. What was the last thing that happened. You can start by running memtest

3. striderx240

striderx240 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 34

It happened awhile back, I don't remember, but i think its either the HDD or OS problem but im unsure, I ran the memtest, but nothing came up. Any ideas?

4. xxdanielxx

5. striderx240

i ran the dft test and its says " Problem detected on a non Hitachi disk drive. Please contact your HDD supplier for additional support. Disposition code = 0x70" Does anyone know what this means? Is my HDD broken?

6. xxdanielxx

if you have a xp cd put it in and click on r to enter the recovery console when you enter run chkdsk /r when it is done reboot the computer. If you have trouble getting into the recovery console let me know if it ask you for a password leave it blank

7. striderx240

Can I use the xp cd? I'm running vista on this laptop.

8. xxdanielxx

if you can log onto safe mode try this open a command prompt and type chkdsk /r

9. striderx240

I can't log onto safe mode, it just freezes.

10. xxdanielxx

i cant say if the xp recovery would work for a vista computer you can try

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.