Sony Vaio has problems with Vista start up

By AlexR
Mar 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I am having problems booting up, getting the windows failed to start screen each time. If I opt for repair, Windows is unable to repair, and if I opt for normal, Windows starts up. However it starts very slowly and I seem to be unable to install new programs to then work properly (I have recently tried FileHippo Udpate Checker and Secunia PSI but they won't run). I think I must have damaged something while removing a virus - possibly with ComboFix.

I have run Checkdisc several times and done other bits and pieces that I've seen might help, but with no noticable improvements. I don't know what to do, so any help would be much appreciated....

Thanks in advance!
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,681   +153

"I must have damaged something while removing a virus - possibly with ComboFix"...

I would recommend the you install Vista, but better yet, upgrade to Windows 7 ;)
  3. AlexR

AlexR Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 58

Can I do that as a simple upgrade or will I need to do a fresh install to get rid of the problem? I don't really want to have to remove all files before reinstalling Windows unless there's no ther option. Plus I think the computer came pre-loaded with Vista, so I don't have a CD, just the Windows license sticker...
  4. Tmagic650

Are there any "restore" features when you first start the computer, like pressing F?
  5. AlexR

I think we got rid of all restore points after getting rid of the virus.
  6. Tmagic650

These restore features are part of the bios before Windows loads... Sometimes called a "Factory Restore" to like the computer was originally when you first bought it
  7. AlexR

Pressing F8 I get several options. The closest option is something like Restore Mode of Directory Services (translated from Spanish). Is that it?
  8. Tmagic650

You can try it...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.