Sony VAIO Z preorders open in the US, prices from $1,970

By Matthew
Jul 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Sony's revamped premium ultraportable notebook has finally washed up on American shores. Arriving just ahead of Apple's long-anticipated MacBook Air refresh, Sony's latest creation is more compact than most thin-and-light machines…

Read the whole story
  2. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 862   +75

$2000 and I ONLY get a 6650m? seriously? I can find one of those in a $1000 laptop and near identical specs. 4-8gb of ram is standard and the i7's are really easy to come by. Is it just me, or does the SSD raid 0 seem to be where the extra $1000 comes from? I can see this being worth $1300 at most and that's a stretch. Unless of course you want to overclock, but MSI has better offerings than that in the sub $2000 sector.

Look up the MSI GT780R-012US. For $1700 you get something that blows that out of the water. gtx560m and 16GB of ddr3 and an i7, what more could a man ask for?
  3. Sony? DO NOT WANT.

I'd be amazed if this thing came with any less than 2 pages of junk preinstalled, including a rootkit or two.
  4. Cota

Cota TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Since you are already paying $2000 dlls, be sure to buy an industrial fridge to cool down all that.
  5. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 942   +42

You are totally missing the point. This thing absolutely tiny with its 13" screen (that is actually capable of a respectable resolution and none of this current 1366x768 nonsense) as well as being over 3 times thinner and 3 times lighter than the MSI laptop you mentioned. Simply put, you're paying the extra money for it's sheer size (lack thereof) and portability, while still having a good resolution screen AND the capability to expand with the aforementioned dock. If you want straight computing performance (and likely being tied to a wall outlet) then you are right, the MSI you mentioned is better. But if portability is a factor, you don't mind paying the extra money, and you are willing to trust Sony for those who love to hate Sony, this option is FAR better since honestly, you don't need the power of a discrete card or a optical disc drive all the time.

Considering all HDD options are two SSDs in RAID 0, it's a matter of having 512GB worth of SSD, fully decked out Dock, and the battery slice that helps push it to $4000. =p
  6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I think Sony perceives themselves as the Apple of the Windows world. People buy Macs with such specs for such a price, why wouldn't Windows users?
  7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

... And 128GB USB flash drives still cost almost $300? Seriously??!! Why buy a 128GB USB flash drive when I can buy a 3TB external hard drive for half the price?

FYI, your argument sounds something like that.
  8. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 862   +75

That is an important piece of information I missed.
  9. Zecias

Zecias TechSpot Booster Posts: 202

to be fair, it is ultraportable and is built with fancy materials
  10. fyrfaktry

fyrfaktry Newcomer, in training

100% :)
  11. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,473   +301

I have to admit, I'm no sony fan (Infact the last item I bought from them was a ps2) But if I had £4000 to spend on a laptop and had a choice from this or any other laptop this would easily win, by far. I mean, It is pretty much perfect, thin, light and decent battery, so the main critica for a laptop is covered, and is fairly well powered, once you get to your desk or home etc... It can become even more powerful and can support multiple screens? this wins hands down in my book.

12. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 999   +11

does it means the 6650m is an external mobile graphic card? wow

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.