TechSpot

Sony's DualShock 4 will work with Windows PCs out of the box

By Shawn Knight
Oct 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sony’s PlayStation 4 is scheduled to drop on November 15 in North America and when it does, PC gamers will be able to use the DualShock 4 controller for Windows-based games. The revelation comes courtesy of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide...

Read more

2. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 604   +106

This must be sold separately then. I'd like to try this one out.

3. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Rookie Posts: 96   +37

No, they're not selling the controller separately. So everytime you break one, you have to spend $400 on a whole new system....

wow..

davislane1 and LukeDJ like this.
  4. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon TS Enthusiast Posts: 153   +44

This is great news as a lot of PC gamers will consider PS4 over XB1 to begin with. For someone with an old controller, this is a cool perk.

5. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Rookie Posts: 98   +6

So if Windows detects it as a gamepad, but the game is developed to support 360 controller, would the new PS4 controller work the same if it can be used via XInput?

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +919

I think they will still sell controllers like they did with the PS3. Why would they stop doing that? That is a huge business for them since many people like using consoles to play with friends, hence being forced to pay $60.

7. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,175   +176

Yes great news. Kudos Sony.

8. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 944   +110

JC missed the sarcasm in Reign's post it appears. Obviously controllers will be sold individually, that's where Sony makes profit on new console launches. Think, parents buying a PS4 for their kids will more than likely buy a 2nd controller, right there almost balancing out the $60 loss on said console.

I'm just happy the controller will be supported natively out of the box, albeit to a minimum but its a start. It better not use Microsoft proprietary xinput BS, which is limited to 4 devices and was created for the 360, hence the new Xbox1 isn't even using it. Which may I add, Xbox 1 controllers won't be supported out of the box on Windows, way to go Microsoft, thumbs up!...

JC713 and LukeDJ like this.
  9. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

Hahaha, JC713 you might need to get your sarcasm detector tuned up a little :p Of course they'll sell the controllers separately. Although I'd expect them to be sold at a nice premium over the Duelshock 3 controllers.

10. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +919

Fail on my part!!!! LOL.

11. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 232   +7

If it used Xinput could potentially work on the xbox one?

12. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 232   +7

It's simply no initial driver support that all give em chance to release it next year.

"We know people want to use the Xbox One controller on their PC, and we do too - we expect to have the functionality available in 2014," said a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to CVG, since verified by Eurogamer."

13. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 944   +110

See you say it's simply lack of driver support, however you would think Microsoft being Microsoft they could afford to have someone in house on the Windows dev team work out a driver in the last 3+ years of the Xbox1's development. But hey, I don't understand how one of the biggest corporations in the world works, guess I just don't know what I'm talking about...

Darth Shiv likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.