TechSpot

Sony's first external HDDs work better with Sony products

By Emil
Jul 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Sony has announced its first range of external hard disk drives (HDDs). The HD-PG5UB series offers 500GB of storage to safeguard your videos, photos, documents, digital music, and so on.…

Read the whole story

2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

And what rootkits come installed as standard?

3. Oh good they even simplified my buying decision, seeing as I own all of zero sony products, I look forward to not buying this one as well.

I wonder if it comes preloaded with backdoors and rootkits as standard, or if that's only available on the premium models.

4. >And what rootkits come installed as standard?

You can pick them up from the list of available options on the product's buy page, even sorted by severity.

5. The Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal concerns the copy protection measures included by Sony BMG on Compact Discs in 2005. Time to let it go guys.........it's was 6 years ago.

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,821   +922

Some people advertise themselves as the type, "who forgives, but doesn't forget". I am inclined to do neither, forgive or forget. In fact, that's my official policy.

The Sony rootkit issue never affected me one bit. That said, it was such an outrage, I buy as little Sony product as I can because of it.

Sony wants to play both sides of the game, they want to sell DVD recorders, they want to prosecute for using them. Not very sporting, wouldn't you say?

As far as their computers go, Sony VIAOs allegedly had, (or have?), the most preloaded, vaporware, trial ware, and bloatware, in the pre-built computer industry.

This, plus I never really use external HDDs, add up to a big, "I pass", on one of these new drives. I'm sure if they're shiny enough, they'll sell a lot of them. "Sony, the one and only", blah, blah, blah.....

7. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 914   +22

Not to forget secure-rom for games, Sony's creation.

8. Sony should be sued for secure-rom, a game rootkit.

9. Will BUY this...I have plenty SONY products and this will surely works wonders for me. Nice!!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.