TechSpot

Sony's rumored "lens camera" and why it could be the real deal

By Shawn Knight
Jul 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sony is reportedly close to releasing an accessory designed to significantly boost the quality of photos taken with a smartphone. The accessory, referred to as a “lens camera,” could mount on the back of your device and would transmit images...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,065   +704

So here's the $10,000 question... would a product like this be a great bridge between a dedicated DSLR and your current smartphone camera? Or would it have too many trade-offs and not quite be good enough to justify carrying it around instead of a real camera?

Either way, I think it's a cool idea.
    BlueDrake likes this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,939   +899

This will be the final nail in the coffin for consumer cameras I bet.
  4. insect

insect TS Booster Posts: 202   +50

"This will be the final nail in the coffin for consumer cameras I bet."

Perhaps, but what is the difference between this and a consumer camera? As the article says, it can take stand-alone pictures and is merely using your smartphone as an extra-large LCD screen. Nothing new here... just another gimmick to part people with their money, especially if this debuts at a higher price than a stand-alone camera because ... wait for it ... it can be used with a smartphone!

Seems pointless to me. They already have wireless stand-alone cameras.
  5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

What's the difference between this and one of those compact cameras with interchangeable lenses? They're pretty much the same to carry around but the dedicated camera will be much quicker to take a picture.
  6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,654   +82

New tech! They want you to get it! Price right I might. Just got a new SONY last month to take pictures does a great job doing that.
  7. cuerdc

cuerdc TS Rookie Posts: 23

Make good security cameras

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.