Sophisticated malware dubbed 'The Mask' went undetected for the past seven years

By Shawn Knight
Feb 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Security researchers recently unearthed a spying tool that managed to go undetected for the past seven years. Dubbed "The Mask" by those at Kaspersky Lab, the malware zeroed in on a wide range of high-profile targets for the better part...

Read more
  2. I didn't knew that NSA was located in an Spanish speaking country. :p
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I wonder how many more are out there. Computer hacks are a lot cheaper and easier than bringing an army over to turn off Iran's centrifuges, or worse yet deal with the aftermath of trying to find Israel.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,378

Just ask Jim Kerry ;)
  5. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 245   +69

Brazilians speak Portuguese for the most part, and not Spanish.
  6. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +164

Pretty awesome that it references file extensions that a high ranking anti-virus company like Kaspersky isn't even sure what it's for.
  7. So those antivirus companies which lambasted the performance of microsoft security essentials (or windows defender) were just as bad?
  8. guest:
    NSA = Nacional Seguridad Agencia

agree with you sir!

on topic:
    is unplugging from the 'net the only safe and sure way to prevent hacking?
  9. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

Kaspersky Lab guys are UberKool
  10. Twixtea

Twixtea TS Rookie Posts: 86

Pretty sure they have something new up their sleeves by now as it took seven years to find 'the mask'.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

I saw 'The Mask' with Jim Carey many moons ago. I don't understand how the so called experts have only just found out about it now. xp
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    NTAPRO likes this.
  12. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,428   +472

For all I know they only speak Portuguese, some may learn spanish the same way some learn english.
  13. "is unplugging from the 'net the only safe and sure way to prevent hacking?"

No that isn't even safe anymore. There was an article on here a while ago about how the NSA has developed a way to be able to access info without you being on the net. Although that means they have to physically plant a bug. But it's still possible.
  14. They have been ale to read data from your hard drive about 15 years ago with or without your computer being on
  15. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 860   +308

There have been articles that state the NSA have diverted orders of computer/IT stuff, done whatever it is they do to it, and ship it to the person/company that has ordered it, without the knowledge of the recipient