Sorta random CPU question (no problems, just a question)

oldikes

Ive only had the privledge (and by that, I mean, enough money) to build a single CPU (with my brother, it was his) in my life. I recall it has (still works apart from mobo, only recently replaced) a intel core 2 quad. I see people talking about bent pins and stuff on CPUs, but I dont remember pins being on the core 2 quad. that was the easiest part I recall, just literally placed the chip in the socket (the heatsink, that was a headache). I dont recall any pins. Are pins literally pins as in thin rods sticking out of the bottom, or what?

Most modern CPU's (Intel at least) no longer have pins on the CPU, but instead the pins are on the socket.

The newer socket 1155 and 1366 (and 2011 for that matter) are just like the Socket 775 you are experienced with the Core 2 Quad you installed, just slightly larger sockets.

It is still very possible to bend pins though, but in this way, you damage the motherboard (with the CPU socket) vs. the CPU. You must be careful when inserting the CPU since dropping it on a corner into the socket CAN bend and damage pins.

So if you've built a system with Socket 775/Core 2 Quad, you should have no problem with Core i3/i5/i7 and newer Intel sockets if this is what you plan to do. Everything is basically the same... just slightly different socket and DDR3 memory vs. DDR2, which are also very similar and just snap in the DIMM slots similarly.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Back