Sound card not recognized

Hi I’m hoping someone can help me out, I have an old acer aspire 5050 laptop I use for work and a month ago the sound began to stutter like playing a cd when it starts to skip. Now it won’t work at all when I open task manager there is no sign of the onboard audio chips set. I’m no expert but I’m also far from a computer numpty. I’ve tried to do a system restore and I’ve tried to reinstall the driver and run windows update, If it was a desk top with a PCI sound card I’d swear someone had removed it.
Also at the same time or around that time the CPU began to reach 100% very easily when using programmes I’ve ran a virus check and done the msconfig disabling pretty much everything also I’ve uninstalled pretty much every program but the CPU still reaches 100% easily making the computer very slow. It’s fine if I’m just browsing the net or using MS word but try and use stuff like Nero or adobe pdf and it just freezes or runs slow. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer as it’s got me beat.

You could try installing Ccleaner from Piniform in a effort to make you computer run *more effectively*
Have you tried downloading and installing a freeware sound driver like Realtek OR downloading the most recent audio driver for your particular machine from the manufacturer ?
There are also USB sound cards you can buy now here's one from Creative

Hi thanks for giving my problem some thought, I've tried all the drivers I can get my hands on the most up to date the one that came with the lap top I've even tried older drivers but since there is no sound device reconised non of them work. Also I've tried clean up programmes but just so as i can eliminate all solutions I've given piniform a try and there is no differance. Until the other week the lap top ran sweet I could do a virus scan whilst running other programmes and watch a DVD at the same time before my CPU maxed out now some times it hits 100% deleting a sentence in MS word. Whilst typeing this I've downloaded 1 small picture from a site and it's maxed out.

As for an auxilary sound card it looks like that is the way I'll have to go as unless anyone thinks it's not the case I assume the chip set on my mother board is fried. I've dug out my copy of windows XP to do a clean install but I've lost the activation key so I have to soldier on and try and fix it all witout reinstalling.

Again thanks for the help and please if anyone else has any ideas please post them as though its not my home computer I'm partially disabled and struggle to write some days so typing documents up at work is a lot easier than writing them. Thats if it doesn't keep freezing.

Back